Handling rudeness

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
Hi everyone. I just wanted some advice on how to deal with my Mum's rudeness to others. She can be very rude and unkind to me at times, however I know that is something I need to grow a tougher skin on. Neighbours I have messaged and explained she is unwell (there is one particular family who live near to her who she is very rude to) but how about when we are in restaurants/cafes?

Possibly I need to learn to be less of a people pleaser, but I find it really challenging to sit there and not apologise or explain. Any advice very warmly welcomed - this is all very new. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hand signals, most but all people seem to get it if you hold out the palm of your hand vertically as a sign to back off, there is an issue.
A man "controling" a woman can be seen as an issue sometimes specially as my wife got early onset AZ, palm of your hand fingers apart and a slight wave worked for me most times. K

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I would apologise and explain, like you have been doing. You can get lanyards or badges saying something along the lines of "I have dementia, please be patient", so if your mother would be prepared to wear one that would help. But I realise its a big 'if' - my mother would remove that kind of thing.

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
I would apologise and explain, like you have been doing. You can get lanyards or badges saying something along the lines of "I have dementia, please be patient", so if your mother would be prepared to wear one that would help. But I realise its a big 'if' - my mother would remove that kind of thing.
Thank you - she absolutely would not wear something like that! Would make things a whole lot easier if she did.

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
Hand signals, most but all people seem to get it if you hold out the palm of your hand vertically as a sign to back off, there is an issue.
A man "controling" a woman can be seen as an issue sometimes specially as my wife got early onset AZ, palm of your hand fingers apart and a slight wave worked for me most times. K
Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You can get business sized cards with "please excuse me, I have dementia" (or similar) printed on them which you can discretely pass on to anyone who she is rude to

Canna

Jan 24, 2022
It can be toe-curlingly embarassing. I developed a wry smile and a muttered, "sorry, mum has dementia". The most unexpected people would smile back sympathetically and say that they understood because they knew someone with dementia.