Gross care home fees following death

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder how many people have been exploited this way when totally distraught after losing someone dear to them.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
finally sorted this ..

Have gone from being billed £70 on top of the 2 weeks already paid…several emails…

to…having the £70 written off….several more emails…

…refund for 5 days given £1200 …several more emails…

refund £1500 agreed for 6 days! BUT I have to wait 2 weeks for the money….

The things is if I had sent none of the emails ….none of this would have happened and care home would be quids up!

what a disgusting process…..I have felt a little ‘dirty’ in a way asking for money and complaining in this time of grief …only to find at every stage i am right ….

next job is to complain regarding mum’s confidential information which the NHS has sent goodness knows where!
This is certainly pretty poor - My Mum's care home were excellent in dealing with the refund from the day she passed, and it was back within days. I'd like to think that your experience is the exception rather than the rule @sdmhred .

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
What a horrible trial. I’m so glad you had a satisfactory resolution, but that shouldn’t have been necessary.

My Granny’s home stopped charging the day after she died, even though it took us a week to arrange to pick up the belongings that we wanted to keep. Plus they even cleared the rest of Granny’s possessions free of charge.

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
what a disgusting process…..I have felt a little ‘dirty’ in a way asking for money and complaining in this time of grief …only to find at every stage i am right ….

@sdmhred it’s disgusting that you had to complain, I’m happy you got the right outcome.