Care home fees

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It's the system that's wrong not the person in the room next door.
Absolutely. The state cannot pay for everyone so it's fair that those who can pay for their own care should do so. I won't get involved in discussions about what people should or shouldn't do with their money - that's a slippery slope and everyone has their own opinions.

But paying twice over to cover the shortfall from council funding (i.e. paying tax AND paying an extra £200 per week for a room) is just wrong. Mum's money should all have been for her own care. It's like mum was paying a top up for her neighbour!

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
My mum was a self-funder, although I did not have access to her funds whilst she was alive. The LA paid her fees and gave me every bit of help and support that they could whilst I applied for Deputyship (sadly mum died during the process).

At the beginning of mum's stay in the care home (it was originally a block booking) I asked the care home manager what the rate was. The manager explained that it was "x" and said that as soon as I had access to mum's funds, it would be "x plus an extra £50 per week".

Mum would still have been in the same room, still having the same care etc. There would have been nothing above and beyond what she was already receiving. I must just say that the care home was great and the staff were marvellous and I could not have wished for a better place for her.

After probate, when mum's monies were transferred to me, I duly paid the LA back for the seven months that mum had been in the care home. If she'd been on the "x plus extra £50 per week", I would have had to pay several grand more. So, I guess, technically my mum was a self-funder who "benefited" from a subsidised rate.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Surely meeting their own needs comes before there wishes to leave Gt Neph a few quid?
Of course meeting their own need is a priority. But you miss my point... That being charged more for the same service as a LA funded client is financial abuse of a vulnerable person in my opinion. As LPA I have a duty,as does the LA to spend money wisely. It seems to me that once care costs come in to the equation then it's ok for the LA to take advantage of the fact they have money.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I agree @Dave63 and @Jaded'n'faded it is the system that's wrong. It is why I said in my original post I'm surprised that it is not challenged by dementia charities and age UK. I'm not saying those with money shouldn't pay for themselves but as pointed out they are paying for others a well. It seems to me it gives licence to LA's to pay an unfair price for non selfunders. They are using the money of vulnerable people to prop up an unfair situation. People who are unable to fight back. And yes ,these people are probably tax payers as well. As I said I think that is financial abuse of a vulnerable person in my opinion .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Tycerrig