going private to get medication

Angel Iz

Aug 16, 2014
Hi my sister was diagnosed with 'short term memory loss' 3 years ago. She has had 2brain scans and the latest shows there is some loss of cognitive function, a slight shrinkage in the cerebellum, but not enough to diagnose dementia or for her doctor to prescribe donepezil. She, her children and myself recognize her symptoms are getting worse and want to know if it's possible to buy the medication privately, and if it's a good idea?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi, Doneprilzil (Aricept) is only prescribed to certain patients suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and not for other forms of Dementia. It can cause side effects and it can be ineffective. It needs to be supervised and dosage can be increased or decreased. It is also only effective for an unspecific length of time.

I have to say that in my opinion, it would not be advisable to obtain the drug outside of your sister's Mental Health Team, and that if her consultant does not think her conditions merit the prescription perhaps you ought to question it with her doctor first and ask their opinion.In the mean time, keep a diary so that you can provide a detailed note of the changes you are witnessing in Sis's behaviour.

Last edited:

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I live on Brazil, different country so different rules, all drugs are bough by family.

When mom began with symptoms we tried lot of things.

There was a consultant that helped mom, she worked with mom's logic, she helped mom on issues (ie how play solitaire on computer, mom's dog genealogy).

Of course mom was on Excelon, Citalopram, Ginkobiloba, Green tea, and art classes, and gym.

Looking back, if I had little money, I would advice first gym ( the only thing that I noticed difference when stopped), then consultant (it is your family health).

consultant helped family. She called invisibles to help. She explained people in denial that or they help or CH. She was able to delay my career breakdown for more than a year.

About drugs, I saw no difference on mom when they were stopped. I would leave to doctors.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
In New Zealand, up until 2011 Donepezil was not funded by our health system, and was at a cost of about GBP125 a month.
It is now funded and costs GBP2.50 a month.
Mum was precribed Donepezil for her moderate Alzheimers last year. She had a MMSE score of 19. She tolerated 5 mg well, but 10mg gave her tummy upsets and constipation. Her memory has worsened since starting Donepezil last Decmber but her overall mood and anxiety has improved.
Dad has just been diagnosed with cognitive impairment, after having a CT scan and assesment. His MMSE score was 24.
They do not prescribe Donepezil for MCI.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband was on Donepezil for a very long time then he was changed over to Rivastigmine. These were provided in prescription by the memory clinic. When he was first diagnosed his MMSE score was reasonably high - around 26. He was prescribed Donepezil ((Aricept) then. He had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He was closely monitored all the time he was in these drugs.

I don't think I would have gone down the private route if he had not been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I think you need to discuss this in depth with your sister's doctor/consultant. If she doesn't have Alzheimer's the drugs are not likely to help. My mother had Vascular Dementia and had no medications prescribed.