Getting lost in the dementia maze

Ranikora

Dec 14, 2023
West Midlands
Hi All, my mum is 82 and we are still awaiting her very likely dementia diagnosis. The memory clinic called Dec 20th to say the psychiatrist could do it over the phone Jan 12th or in person Feb 6th... How on earth do they expect an elderly lady to react to a phone call from someone she's never met who will likely tell her it's dementia?!

I can't see it being anything else and because she's so stubborn and flatly refused to leave her home throughout the pandemic she's declining quite rapidly now.

Anyway, I opted for the Feb appointment so it's just a little more waiting. The initial appointment with her GP which was in itself a huge battle was Feb 27th last year, followed by memory clinic in October and MRI in November.

I've just secured an indefinite Attendance Allowance award for her and the next step is a blue badge to make the constant hospital appointments safer as she tends to walk off without looking or thinking about the dangers.

On top of the dementia she also has wet macular degeneration in both eyes and bilateral cataracts.

I'm struggling with finding things to keep her occupied given her cognitive and sight issues.

Phew this was meant to be a brief introduction.... I'm hoping to learn from the good people here and will help anyone if I can.

Good to be here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me too @Ranikora to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your Mum, and hope that the appointment in February goes well.
I am sure you will find this forum useful for sound advice, good suggestions, and true understanding. Members here really do want to help.
And don't worry, long or short posts on here are fine - sometimes, you just need to put things down on here - it can help. You're certainly not alone.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Hi All, my mum is 82 and we are still awaiting her very likely dementia diagnosis. The memory clinic called Dec 20th to say the psychiatrist could do it over the phone Jan 12th or in person Feb 6th... How on earth do they expect an elderly lady to react to a phone call from someone she's never met who will likely tell her it's dementia?!

I can't see it being anything else and because she's so stubborn and flatly refused to leave her home throughout the pandemic she's declining quite rapidly now.

Anyway, I opted for the Feb appointment so it's just a little more waiting. The initial appointment with her GP which was in itself a huge battle was Feb 27th last year, followed by memory clinic in October and MRI in November.

I've just secured an indefinite Attendance Allowance award for her and the next step is a blue badge to make the constant hospital appointments safer as she tends to walk off without looking or thinking about the dangers.

On top of the dementia she also has wet macular degeneration in both eyes and bilateral cataracts.

I'm struggling with finding things to keep her occupied given her cognitive and sight issues.

Phew this was meant to be a brief introduction.... I'm hoping to learn from the good people here and will help anyone if I can.

Good to be here.
My mum had her cataracts done 2 years ago. The optician referred her to a company called Spa Medica. The first was done within 2 weeks of seeing the optician, the second a couple of months later. This was done under the NHS.

MyDad’sDaughter

Jan 12, 2024
Music and massage are things I have read that you can use as a way to occupy and connect with dementia patients. It’s very sad she has eyesight issues too… for that I don’t have any informed advice but it seems the above might be worth researching.

Ranikora

Dec 14, 2023
West Midlands
My mum had her cataracts done 2 years ago. The optician referred her to a company called Spa Medica. The first was done within 2 weeks of seeing the optician, the second a couple of months later. This was done under the NHS.
Thanks for this, my late father had his cataracts done quite rapidly too however it's not as straight forward if there is wet macular degeneration too. We're supposedly seeing someone in clinic tomorrow which will be the first review since starting treatment a year ago... maybe they'll let me know about options for her cataracts then.

Ranikora

Dec 14, 2023
West Midlands
Welcome from me too @Ranikora to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your Mum, and hope that the appointment in February goes well.
I am sure you will find this forum useful for sound advice, good suggestions, and true understanding. Members here really do want to help.
And don't worry, long or short posts on here are fine - sometimes, you just need to put things down on here - it can help. You're certainly not alone.

Thank you for the great welcome, I've been so busy caring for her that I've not really had chance to check in with the group.

Ranikora

Dec 14, 2023
West Midlands
Music and massage are things I have read that you can use as a way to occupy and connect with dementia patients. It’s very sad she has eyesight issues too… for that I don’t have any informed advice but it seems the above might be worth researching.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think she'll go for massage, she's the opposite of someone who enjoys human contact!

However after reading your suggestion of music I grabbed one of smart speakers (Echo Show 5) and took it around to hers. She's not really happy talking to it yet, but I've found a few playlists from eras she likes and have been streaming songs for her to song along too. It's gone down much better than the radio with its endless adverts and talking.