Funeral preparation checklist

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland

Funeral Preparation Check List?​

Maybe I can ask here for advice, for a sort of preparation check list? My older sister has had Alzheimer's since 2019, even before I think. After several years of external care in her own home, it became unmanageable and in December 2022, we had her assessed and placed her in a nearby care home for Respite Care which after 4 weeks has become her permanent abode. She is still alive, and being well cared for.
I live in Switzerland since 49 years and have full PoAs since 2019 and manage her life completely remote from abroad. She has a Funeral Plan in place for cremation. I have been in contact using my PoAs and even have discussed with them a plan for the location of the ashes at the same location as those of our mother.

I can cope with the emotional side, having already lost both parents, parents in law and my young wife to cancer as well as several good friends, but I need now to prepare for the rest of my sister's journey, so what happens after she dies?

Not having lived in the UK for 49 years, I don't know really where to start. After she passes away, she will be "vacated from" the care home within 5 days, the undertakers are nearby. I am not religious, but my sister has supported and with her Alzheimer's been heavily supported by some members of her local church community for several years now, this has greatly helped me and I guess they would appreciate a service of sorts? I have absolutely no idea how to go about this, and I will need to start arranging from abroad and then travel over for the funeral.

Afterwards I will have her house to sell, there is a will on it, and I am the major beneficiary, along with my sons here in Switzerland who are also joint PoAs. I hope to start clearing it soon when I next come over.

What are the To-Dos and Not-To-Dos?
What are the potential Pitfalls?

Any good advice, preferably also links, would be greatly appreciated.
The location is South Devon.

Last edited:

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
I've come across an older forum entry, https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/what-to-do-after-death.12028/
But I am not sure how fresh the content is, since it was started in 2008 and stopped back in 2017.
Maybe I can extract some of the more important entries from this and try and create a structured list? In fact, I have learnt very quickly a lot from your interaction and I'm trying to create a list with important links and ideas.
  • What "Paperwork" will I need:
    • Medical Certificate to register the death (Executor) to get the...Death Certificate
    • Death Certificate
    • Will ☑️
    • Deeds of the property if available ☑️
    • Funeral Plan Certificate if available ☑️
    • It seems the PoAs lose their power on death, maybe it's a good idea to get them activated in all places you might require them beforehand. Utilities for example? ☑️
  • https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organisations-you-need-to-contact-and-tell-us-once
  • https://www.gov.uk/when-someone-dies
  • PLAs lose their PoA rights, Executors take over from PLAs https://www.gov.uk/probate-estate#:...tate-,Overview,passed on to the beneficiaries ⬅️
  • Apparently, there may be "Benefits and financial support when someone dies"
  • Guidance: Public Guardian practice note: notification of death (Executor)
  • Banks: Notify them. I, as PoA will lose access? ⬅️
    Pitfall: Apparently on notification, all existing Direct Debits and Standing Orders, also Utility Bills will be cancelled, but interesting to know this is not the case for Joint Accounts! But, it is no longer the PLAs responsibility to sort out the bills, but the executors, I have been informed.
  • Investments: List of all investment accounts, including ISAs, NS&I, reduce and prepare them beforehand ☑️
    I have moved the ISA, and cancelled another Investment Account, NS&I might be necessary to sell some once to pay for continued care.
    Q. What happens on the day of the death of the person you trigger an internal transfer online to the person's own account to simplify matters, say NS&I transfer to Saver? Is this a problem, if you do this just at the same time as applying for the death certificate? The only benefit for me would be simplicity - no financial gain.
  • Simplify, reduce, and consolidate now: something we should all be doing. I'm guilty of not doing it for myself, but I have been doing it for my sister, reducing Direct Debits, Accounts, unnecessary payments, and sorry to some deserving charities 😢 , less to cancel in the end and while my PoAs are currently still valid. ⬅️
  • Funeral, Service, Cremation, contact the church if required
  • to be expanded
My first observations are that many tasks should be initiated within quite short notice, within 5 days, but can apparently be relaxed holidays and opening times restrict it!

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You say there is a will which means an executor (or executors) will have been appointed, you also say there ae LPAs, note that the PLAs loose their power on the donor's death and the executor(s) takeover.
https://www.gov.uk/probate-estate#:...tate-,Overview,passed on to the beneficiaries .

The 5 days limit for notifying the death is quite often relaxed typically where the registry office has limited opening days and long bank holiday week ends are involved.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
You say there is a will which means an executor (or executors) will have been appointed, you also say there ae LPAs, note that the PLAs loose their power on the donor's death and the executor(s) takeover.
https://www.gov.uk/probate-estate#:~:text=Distributing the estate-,Overview,passed on to the beneficiaries .

The 5 days limit for notifying the death is quite often relaxed typically where the registry office has limited opening days and long bank holiday week ends are involved.
Thanks for this reminder, the solicitors who did the will and our PoAs are the executors, I can at least communicate with them by E-Mail, because living abroad, in 5 days, I will have to organize everything in advance digitally, travel, organize the 2 day's drive, more advisable at my age. One thing I find a little confusing, the PLAs lose their power, yet, digitally the recorded PoAs still have the access to manage the persons' life as before.
Example: Utility Companies organisation.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
From a funeral perspective it depends if there is a pre paid funeral plan in place as these sometimes specify the funeral director.

My mum is frail (was end of life for a few days but has rallied back to base line) and I have got on her care home records the funeral directors I wish to use. My understanding is this means that when mum dies the FD will be contacted and deal with the body. I've chosen a family firm that has premises near to mum's care home rather than a national chain but either way the FD will guide you through the process of funeral/cremation/burial arrangements. The FDs said I don't need to do anything else and then talk with them when mum passes.

If you wish to have a church service the vicar/priest will also guide you, although some just have a religious ceremony at the crematorium. The FD and church will liaise with each other and all necessary bookings etc will be done once you've indicated availability for the funeral.

I have a wide circle of friends so seem to attend a funeral most years (I'm in my 50s but friends in their 70s and 80s who are passing) and in my experience it is normally about 2 weeks from the death to the funeral due to booking the crem etc.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Her bank will need notifying too. Usually the accounts are then frozen until probate is complete, although they will allow payment assosiated with the funeral - this will mean that if you think of something that is not covered by the funeral plan (eg a church service) then it can still be paid for

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
https://www.gov.uk/probate-estate#:~:text=Distributing the estate-,Overview,passed on to the beneficiaries .

👍

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
From a funeral perspective it depends if there is a pre paid funeral plan in place as these sometimes specify the funeral director.

My mum is frail (was end of life for a few days but has rallied back to base line) and I have got on her care home records the funeral directors I wish to use. My understanding is this means that when mum dies the FD will be contacted and deal with the body. I've chosen a family firm that has premises near to mum's care home rather than a national chain but either way the FD will guide you through the process of funeral/cremation/burial arrangements. The FDs said I don't need to do anything else and then talk with them when mum passes.

If you wish to have a church service the vicar/priest will also guide you, although some just have a religious ceremony at the crematorium. The FD and church will liaise with each other and all necessary bookings etc will be done once you've indicated availability for the funeral.

I have a wide circle of friends so seem to attend a funeral most years (I'm in my 50s but friends in their 70s and 80s who are passing) and in my experience it is normally about 2 weeks from the death to the funeral due to booking the crem etc.
There is fortunately a funeral plan in place with the undertakers conveniently next to the care home. I have been in contact with them once via E-Mail to discuss the possible location next to our mum's near her new Oak tree she purchased in a new forest. All OK.
I am not religious, but I reached out to my sister's church for help, via E-Mail, during the pandemic 2020 when Alzheimer's really took hold of my sister and I was unable to travel. She had supported the church for many years, her friends were there, and a couple of her friends have since been magnificent support for her, and me of course. So I think they would maybe appreciate a service of some kind.
Thanks for the input that 2 weeks are required.

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Her bank will need notifying too. Usually the accounts are then frozen until probate is complete, although they will allow payment assosiated with the funeral - this will mean that if you think of something that is not covered by the funeral plan (eg a church service) then it can still be paid for
I am presuming that existing Direct Debits are still functioning. I rarely have to make a payment but I do need to make regular transfers from her Saver account to the current account used for the care home and other utility services for her house. Maybe I need to automate this
Apparently not :rolleyes:

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am presuming that existing Direct Debits are still functioning. I rarely have to make a payment but I do need to make regular transfers from her Saver account to the current account used for the care home and other utility services for her house. Maybe I need to automate this :rolleyes:
Once you notify the bank of her death all existing Direct Debits and Standing Orders will be cancelled.
If she still has her house and there are utilities being paid, they will have to be notified as well (all individually, unfortunately - AFAIK)

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Once you notify the bank of her death all existing Direct Debits and Standing Orders will be cancelled.
If she still has her house and there are utilities being paid, they will have to be notified as well (all individually, unfortunately - AFAIK)
Oh! Thank you for this. So this is then a Pitfall I wasn't expecting. 😮
I have reduced her DDs to about 6. Fortunately, I still do have a UK Bank Account, but it does mean that probably I will have to continue paying those utilities until the house is able to be sold. I hope they can be reimbursed as expenses afterwards. OK, I am the main beneficiary of the will, my sons get something too, but I see I have to plan this carefully.
Maybe to save myself time, I need to make the change now of ownership of all DDs from my UK account and just have fund replacements to my account from my sister's account as DDs for these items. When her DDs stop, then my payments to the utilities still continue and I have less to do at the critical time, just inform them of her death. But it could be a bit messy, since some DDs of the utilities vary.

I have been advised that since I no longer have a PLA responsibility, the executor needs to sort this out,

Thank you, much better, feel a little relieved. 🙏

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It is normal that bank accounts are frozen on death (unless below that bank's limit)

The utility companies are therefore used to waiting for their money. It is technically the executor's responsibility to deal with this as your POA ceases on death and they will notify the utility cos and pay them once they have available funds.

I would leave the DDs to continue in your sister's account for now and let the executors sort this out.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
There is fortunately a funeral plan in place with the undertakers conveniently next to the care home. I have been in contact with them once via E-Mail to discuss the possible location next to our mum's near her new Oak tree she purchased in a new forest. All OK.
I am not religious, but I reached out to my sister's church for help, via E-Mail, during the pandemic 2020 when Alzheimer's really took hold of my sister and I was unable to travel. She had supported the church for many years, her friends were there, and a couple of her friends have since been magnificent support for her, and me of course. So I think they would maybe appreciate a service of some kind.
Thanks for the input that 2 weeks are required.
Church wise the vicar will lead you through this, and hopefully these days will be able to meet with you over zoom to organise. Be prepared that there will be some costs here - I was rather shocked that we had to pay for stuff there for my Dads service even though he was active helping to contribute to services right up to his death.
hopefully there will be some old friends of your sister who may even take it upon themselves to organise tea and cake afterwards - although you could also organise from afar a Waitrose or equivalent entertaining delivery to arrive

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Church wise the vicar will lead you through this, and hopefully these days will be able to meet with you over zoom to organise. Be prepared that there will be some costs here - I was rather shocked that we had to pay for stuff there for my Dads service even though he was active helping to contribute to services right up to his death.
hopefully there will be some old friends of your sister who may even take it upon themselves to organise tea and cake afterwards - although you could also organise from afar a Waitrose or equivalent entertaining delivery to arrive
Thank you for this, I have written to the vicar 🙏

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
It is normal that bank accounts are frozen on death (unless below that bank's limit)

The utility companies are therefore used to waiting for their money. It is technically the executor's responsibility to deal with this as your POA ceases on death and they will notify the utility cos and pay them once they have available funds.

I would leave the DDs to continue in your sister's account for now and let the executors sort this out.
Thanks for this feedback, I'm a little relieved to hear this, anyway most utilities are in Credit! 🤔

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland
Last edited:

GROCKLE

Jul 7, 2021
Switzerland

Both the digitally recorded PoAs and certified copies still exist and should not be used.
The OPG should be notified of the death and original and copy powers in possession of the attorney returned, the OPG will nullify the digital record.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-guardian-practice-note-notification-of-death .
You don't have to personally register the death, the solicitor as executor can do it.
Actually, Nitram, thank you so much for this clarification, in building up my checklist I now have realised something that this point is extremely important for all to know. Now you have the PoAs, after the death of the person, you lose them.

Fortunately, because I have been managing and taking over my sister's life paperless for some years now, I have in actual fact done this correctly by registering my PoAs with all banks, utilities online, BG, Water, BT etc.
I am now imagining a potential "After Death" scenario, some utility or other creditors requiring the PoA which you no longer have, I guess you have to provide the death certificate or something but it is maybe more of a hassle. Before I had the online PoAs I had some terrible hassle with some organisations.

Anyway, use them whilst you have them, those expensive PoAs

Remember if the LPoAs have been registered after 1st Jan 2016, it's easy to give an organisation access to view them by sending them the code via E-Mail

https://use-lasting-power-of-attorney.service.gov.uk/ to set it up and get the code
https://view-lasting-power-of-attorney.service.gov.uk/home for them to view your code

Last edited: