For Better or Worse Advertising Campaign

Cherry2

Jul 24, 2017
What are other users views on the new Alzheimer/Dementia Advertising Campaign?

Brisy Chris

Aug 13, 2023
I don't like it, unless you have lived with someone with the condition I don't think you would understand what the lady could be going through. But any raising of awareness is better than none.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe a bit timid. people wont know the significance of i want to go home unless you care for someone with dementia. there is also a bit of guilt tripping in using the marriage vows.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I like it.
It gets rid of the forgetful old lady image and is infinitely better than the 'living well with dementia' campaign.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think they missed a trick by not showing someone in a care home - the marriage vows do not mean you have to look after them at home until the end, which the ad seems to imply

Yes, its definitely better than the "living well with dementia" campaign

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Its very one-sided, it won’t speak to people who are not married, in single sex relationships, of different cultures . Also some people are in very rocky marriages already and dementia causes a further strain, this campaign could make them feel very guilty. It’s just too short sighted.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
it would be good if they let members brainstorm ideas of what should be included while caring. could they do a series of ads to reflect all the different relationships that are in a multi-cultural uk? this just seems to say that you married them so honour your vows. not very helpful.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
I don’t feel the ad is hard hitting enough and it fails to give an accurate picture of what caring for someone with dementia is like for many people. As @Violet Jane pointed out it’s psychologically manipulative although I imagine coercively guilt tripping people into caring by using the marriage vows is precisely what the government wants. My husband and I wrote our own marriage vows and for better or worse was something we didn’t include.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think it is very well done, but I think it does unintentionally imply that you should look after your partner no matter what. A brief scene in a care home would have improved it no end.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
It annoyed the hell out of me. Why not show the shouting, abuse and irrational behaviour. Pfffffftttt, till death 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
They are just pussy footing with the advert,should show it how it really is with the abuse and shouting sleepless nights.Only us really know what goes on Ang xx

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I wonder if anyone has seen the movie starring Anthony Hopkins. I wouldn't be interested myself, but I did see a clip when it first came out.
Did it present a realistic portrait of the thing we talk about on here? Slightly off topic - apologies.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I wonder if anyone has seen the movie starring Anthony Hopkins. I wouldn't be interested myself, but I did see a clip when it first came out.
Did it present a realistic portrait of the thing we talk about on here? Slightly off topic - apologies.
I saw the film and thought it was very well done. Of course being full length, it had the time to develop the reality of the confusion over a period of time and dealt with how things change and what the daughter went through in trying to understand and cope. It didn’t have the time to present all the problems of dementia but it was very powerful and moving.

I thought the recent advertisement was wispy washy, sugary and guilt inducing for those of us who longer find love for their person with dementia and who slipped into the role more by accident than by intention.

I suppose the advertisement was not targeted at carers but at the general public but it still had that happy ever after feeling that annoyed the hell out of me.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Another two to compare and contrast

The penultimate "we're leaving at 8" one is just so sad to watch.
The last one is the best IMO - it's saying dementia doesn't discriminate, but there's a bit of hope that something could be done, may be false hope of course - I don't know.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
AS appear to have a blitz every now and again repeatedly screening the same ad.
I think it would be better to mix ads in the blitz

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
What’s the one with the pregnant woman at the bus stop with the older man asking her when the baby is due, and it turns out that he is her dad?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980