Training for care staff

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Does the Alzheimers Society campaign to ensure everyone working with people with dementia has effective training in understanding dementia ? This is enshrined in law in relation to autism (2022 Act) and it seems equally important that this applies to dementia. I have been shocked by some of the things care staff have said to my dad in his care home which reveal how badly trained and prepared they are. A new manager said to him, you remember my name, I told you about an hour ago. A care worker asked me to talk to him about needing to wash so that he might be more cooperative next time she tried to support him. An activities worker questioned him when he didn’t remember a dog visiting the week before and was trying to jog his memory. I can’t believe this would happen with even basic knowledge of what dementia is but compulsory training might just help. Anyway, if anyone can tell me what the Alzheimer’s Society is doing in this area, I’d be interested.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I know that the Alzheimer’s Society training for their own staff is very thorough,I have done it my self. There is also the Dementia Friends training , which is basic but a good place to start.
However this does not answer your query about getting the right training in place for staff who come into contact with people with dementia. In care homes most up staff have to be trained up to a certain standard but in reality this comes down to how good the home is at implementing the right training. I have also seen and heard some questionable treatment of PWD in homes but also in hospitals and even in the memory clinic.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
training depends on how proactive the manager/owner is or trained. some are very thorough with others being less so. colleges run courses on social care which lead to qualifications. used to be nvqs but not sure they do them now.

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Hi @Bettusboo

Thank you for your question. I’m so sorry to hear about how your dad has been treated by care home staff. It sounds like you are very passionate, understandably so, about making sure all care home workers receive adequate training so they can provide a safe and understanding living environment for people with dementia.

Alzheimer’s Society provide dementia training services to those who approach us, which can be delivered virtually or in person. I’ve included a link to those here, as well as an example of what a typical training day for care home staff looks like. We also offer a free course called ‘Introduction to the Dementia Journey’ to equip everyone with the knowledge and skills to confidently support people with dementia.

We are currently campaigning for reforms to the social care system, with our priority being high quality care that better meets the individual needs of people affected by dementia. You can read all about our work here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-involved/our-campaigns/quality-social-care

I hope this helps put your mind at ease, but please do keep posting any questions you may have. We’re here to help.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
I know that the Alzheimer’s Society training for their own staff is very thorough,I have done it my self. There is also the Dementia Friends training , which is basic but a good place to start.
However this does not answer your query about getting the right training in place for staff who come into contact with people with dementia. In care homes most up staff have to be trained up to a certain standard but in reality this comes down to how good the home is at implementing the right training. I have also seen and heard some questionable treatment of PWD in homes but also in hospitals and even in the memory clinic.
Thank you for your comment and agree, the question I asked isn’t fully addressed. There is now a legal requirement for suitable training for anyone working in a CQC regulated environment who comes into contact with people with autism. This same requirement for working with people with dementia just might make a difference.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Hi @Bettusboo

Thank you for your question. I’m so sorry to hear about how your dad has been treated by care home staff. It sounds like you are very passionate, understandably so, about making sure all care home workers receive adequate training so they can provide a safe and understanding living environment for people with dementia.

Alzheimer’s Society provide dementia training services to those who approach us, which can be delivered virtually or in person. I’ve included a link to those here, as well as an example of what a typical training day for care home staff looks like. We also offer a free course called ‘Introduction to the Dementia Journey’ to equip everyone with the knowledge and skills to confidently support people with dementia.

We are currently campaigning for reforms to the social care system, with our priority being high quality care that better meets the individual needs of people affected by dementia. You can read all about our work here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-involved/our-campaigns/quality-social-care

I hope this helps put your mind at ease, but please do keep posting any questions you may have. We’re here to help.
Thanks. I’m sure there is good training available. I would like to see it enshrined in law that anyone working with people with dementia in a CQC regulated provision has appropriate training on dementia. This is now the case for people with learning disability and autism and thanks to the efforts of the National Autistic Society and others, was introduced under the 2022 Heath and Social Care Act. I think the same requirement for people with dementia could have tangible outcomes and is something I’d love to see the Alzheimer’s Society campaigning for. I realise this may not be the right place to be raising this but if you have a suggestion for who I could write to about this, I’d appreciate it.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Does the Alzheimers Society campaign to ensure everyone working with people with dementia has effective training in understanding dementia ? This is enshrined in law in relation to autism (2022 Act) and it seems equally important that this applies to dementia. I have been shocked by some of the things care staff have said to my dad in his care home which reveal how badly trained and prepared they are. A new manager said to him, you remember my name, I told you about an hour ago. A care worker asked me to talk to him about needing to wash so that he might be more cooperative next time she tried to support him. An activities worker questioned him when he didn’t remember a dog visiting the week before and was trying to jog his memory. I can’t believe this would happen with even basic knowledge of what dementia is but compulsory training might just help. Anyway, if anyone can tell me what the Alzheimer’s Society is doing in this area, I’d be interested.
Thank you for bringing this up. To be honest I had never even thought about it and it makes such good sense to protect people who are truly vulnerable.💐

I live in Australia and don’t even know what the laws are regarding autism or other disabilities but you have prodded me into doing some checking.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
This is a great point about the parallel with autism. In my work we have been given some excellent autism training by those with lived experience….has been so very helpful in my understanding and approach.

I guess those with dementia often don’t have the voice to air the needs as those with autism but it should be exactly the same.

I helped with a research project which did some training on communication led by those in the early stages. That was very insightful too.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks. I’m sure there is good training available. I would like to see it enshrined in law that anyone working with people with dementia in a CQC regulated provision has appropriate training on dementia. This is now the case for people with learning disability and autism and thanks to the efforts of the National Autistic Society and others, was introduced under the 2022 Heath and Social Care Act. I think the same requirement for people with dementia could have tangible outcomes and is something I’d love to see the Alzheimer’s Society campaigning for. I realise this may not be the right place to be raising this but if you have a suggestion for who I could write to about this, I’d appreciate it.
Hello @Bettusboo, first of all i have found your posts on this subject interesting and thought provoking. It has been suggested that you contact the Supporter Care Team in the first instance and I have attached a link below. I have also attached links to the society's Contact us information which gives their main telephone numbers, information on campaigning with the society and finally I have attached the AS address. I hope that these are of some use to you.

Alzheimer's Society
Suite 2
1st Floor East Wing
Plumer House
Tailyour Road
Plymouth
PL6 5FS

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
This is a great point about the parallel with autism. In my work we have been given some excellent autism training by those with lived experience….has been so very helpful in my understanding and approach.

I guess those with dementia often don’t have the voice to air the needs as those with autism but it should be exactly the same.

I helped with a research project which did some training on communication led by those in the early stages. That was very insightful
Hello @Bettusboo, first of all i have found your posts on this subject interesting and thought provoking. It has been suggested that you contact the Supporter Care Team in the first instance and I have attached a link below. I have also attached links to the society's Contact us information which gives their main telephone numbers, information on campaigning with the society and finally I have attached the AS address. I hope that these are of some use to you.

Alzheimer's Society
Suite 2
1st Floor East Wing
Plumer House
Tailyour Road
Plymouth
PL6 5FS
Thank you.