Finding soiled underwear hidden

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Mum had been resisting the idea of nappies (although she was the first to propose the idea), but when I told her we wouldn't buy nappies, we'd buy 'disposable knickers' instead she got on board.

I agree it is better to use the term disposable pants or knickers than nappies. The majority of people with dementia still have a long term memory even if the short term memory has gone.
Nappies are for babies and the term could still cause upset.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum had been resisting the idea of nappies (although she was the first to propose the idea), but when I told her we wouldn't buy nappies, we'd buy 'disposable knickers' instead she got on board.
I remember, back in the sixties, there was short-lived (I was going to say "brief"!) fad for disposable underwear. It was considered the "path of the future" and I got given a tin (!) of 7 pairs of disposable knickers. I seem to remember that I took them on a weeks holiday and found them extremely uncomfortable - though they did save some washing.

I hope that when I develop dementia and become incontinent, someone will describe the continence products as "disposable knickers" and point to them being the "path of the future". Its may, just may, tap into this old memory.....