Filling in local authority financial assesment form for my mum

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
Hi all. I'm in the process of filling in this 'Adult Social Care Financial Assessment form' for my mum for my Mum as relates to how much Hackney will contribute to care (we currently have four visits a day). The six week free period has now elapsed and in getting to grips with my mums finances, I see that she has a combined pension income of approx £17,280 PA. I'm wondering if anyone has experience in what the local authority cut off point is and in the meantime, I am worried that we may be accumulating a large bill with the agency who are providing the care. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
The cut off point is savings of £23,500. So unless you mum has savings as well then she should be well below this but there are always bits and pieces that don’t count or will be included , it’s dependant on quite a few factors not just income. Complete the forms fully ( mine was done over the phone.) if your mum is to remain in her home then that obviously won’t count, if she is going in to residential care then any property she owns will need to b sold in most cases. The following link should help.

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
The cut off point is savings of £23,500. So unless you mum has savings as well then she should be well below this but there are always bits and pieces that don’t count or will be included , it’s dependant on quite a few factors not just income. Complete the forms fully ( mine was done over the phone.) if your mum is to remain in her home then that obviously won’t count, if she is going in to residential care then any property she owns will need to b sold in most cases. The following link should help.
Many thanks. Yes, she will be staying in her housing association flat. Residential care is not an option for now.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
her income is only a start point. It will depend upon her savings, if she has pots of money in the bank she will have to pay some,possibly all of the costs.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Hi all. I'm in the process of filling in this 'Adult Social Care Financial Assessment form' for my mum for my Mum as relates to how much Hackney will contribute to care (we currently have four visits a day). The six week free period has now elapsed and in getting to grips with my mums finances, I see that she has a combined pension income of approx £17,280 PA. I'm wondering if anyone has experience in what the local authority cut off point is and in the meantime, I am worried that we may be accumulating a large bill with the agency who are providing the care. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What is the six week free period?

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
I was told that the 6 weeks free care is after a person has been discharged from hospital into a nursing home. Don`t know any more as it did not apply to OH.
The 6 weeks is so a care home can do an assessment on the residents care requirements and let social services know. This is done when someone has been in hospital and not expected to be able to return home ( although mum did). They may not need a full 6 weeks to make their assessment

After that a decision will be made if mum can go home with a care package or if she needs to stay in a care home or needs a home with nursing etc.
If you want some input you will be wanting to look at homes yourself. Social Services may choose one which you don't like but it fits their budget and you will then have to argue the toss.

Assuming she goes into a care home he'll stop getting attendance allowance. On the assumption she lives alone if she owns her own house she will have to sell this and use the profit to pay for her care until her savings reduce to 23k. They will defer payment until the house Is sold. When saving reduce they take a standard amount per every £250 until savings are down to 14k and then this amount us disregarded.

Assuming she doesn't own her house or have savings over 14k they will use all her income less approximately £30 a week ( I can't remembered the exact figure) to contribute towards care home costs. The £30 is "considered" enough for toiletries, clothes etc.

I tried to find out how much was the maximum the LA would pay in an imaginary scenario where mum had no money and no savings; ie approximately much were the fees care home, which the LA deemed suitable by the LA,,charging. It seemed to be some mysterious secret and was like getting blood out of a stone. Anyway they eventually gave me a figure of £880 a week but I understand this varies considerably depending on your LA area. If mum needs nursing care then she will be given a contribution towards her care from the NHS and this varies on the amount of care she requires.

Don't take everything I've said as set in stone. I may have got a few things wrong or not considered any other scenarios. I just found it so frustrating and stressful when I had no clue other than the 23k saving thing so I hope this will help.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@jackdog35 It’s sometimes referred to as D2A discharge to assess. It wouldn’t surprise me if each LA has different criteria and try to wriggle out of it so I suspect there is no definitive answer.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
@jackdog35 It’s sometimes referred to as D2A discharge to assess. It wouldn’t surprise me if each LA has different criteria and try to wriggle out of it so I suspect there is no definitive answer.
There’s been no mention of this at the local community hospital but they did say about it at the general. I just assumed the bed in the community hospital was the assessment bed. They seem to have already made up their minds she should go into a care home but I need social services to do an assessment as funds will run out quickly

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
I tried to find out how much was the maximum the LA would pay in an imaginary scenario where mum had no money and no savings; ie approximately much were the fees care home, which the LA deemed suitable by the LA,,charging. It seemed to be some mysterious secret and was like getting blood out of a stone. Anyway they eventually gave me a figure of £880 a week but I understand this varies considerably depending on your LA area. If mum needs nursing care then she will be given a contribution towards her care from the NHS and this varies on the amount of care she requires.
That is really interesting. the only other figure I have seen was £650 which is totally unrealistic

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
That is really interesting. the only other figure I have seen was £650 which is totally unrealistic
Definitely. Mum is on a home near me now. We live in what I suppose is considered an affluent area and the ones I looked at were at least £1200. By the time I'd got mum in a home of my choosing ( which is ridiculously expensive) I'd run out of steam to argue with them. We had to top up loads anyway and we have got a small amount of funding from the LA.

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
Hi, thanks for that. Yes, she is in her flat for now. Any consideration of residential care will be some time away I hope.