Feeling sad and tired.

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
People with dementia do sleep a lot because their poor damaged brains have so much difficulty processing everything that it wears them out.

What time of the day do you visit? I always used to find that mum was at her best in the morning, but by the evening she was either sundowning or falling asleep!
I visit at all different times . She can be sleeping in the morning or afternoon or evening. Or she can be awake at those times , no particular pattern.
A bit more unsettled since the recent tia.

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
Should say *rest
I need to visit mum today as I've had 2 days off.
For some reason it feels like climbing a mountain. I phoned yesterday to see how she was and was told that she was up and taken downstairs to attend the afternoon activity. However she was sleepy most of the time.
I know the carers do their best but I often wonder if my mum has just given up. One hearing aid was lost recently (?) the other doesn't work. She can't really hear much now. I feel her sight has diminished as she jumps if I speak to her from the side. She used to talk more but seems flat in her mood and struggling to speak after her tia doesn't help.
I wish I knew what more I could do. She was so vibrant a few months ago. It just makes my heart ache to see her so withdrawn.

susiecol

May 8, 2024
I need to visit mum today as I've had 2 days off.
For some reason it feels like climbing a mountain. I phoned yesterday to see how she was and was told that she was up and taken downstairs to attend the afternoon activity. However she was sleepy most of the time.
I know the carers do their best but I often wonder if my mum has just given up. One hearing aid was lost recently (?) the other doesn't work. She can't really hear much now. I feel her sight has diminished as she jumps if I speak to her from the side. She used to talk more but seems flat in her mood and struggling to speak after her tia doesn't help.
I wish I knew what more I could do. She was so vibrant a few months ago. It just makes my heart ache to see her so withdrawn.
I feel for you,I've had a couple of days off too,so am planning on a visit today,but I don't look forward to it,mums not mum as she was,like you're mum she was also active in early January and had memory problems,but things have changed with her so much ..dreadful disease.... take good care,speak again x

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
I feel for you,I've had a couple of days off too,so am planning on a visit today,but I don't look forward to it,mums not mum as she was,like you're mum she was also active in early January and had memory problems,but things have changed with her so much ..dreadful disease.... take good care,speak again x
Best of luck today @susiecol . Mine was sleeping all the time I was there, so I sorted her wardrobe out, and took a hearing amplifier in for her to try when she wakes. It might help until the hearing aids are sorted out..
The staff were kind and I think they know how tough it's getting for me.
I.was told that although she's eating, she hasn't been able to feed herself for a couple of weeks.
I'm grateful that they are honest with me.
Take care and hope its a good visit. x

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Best of luck today @susiecol . Mine was sleeping all the time I was there, so I sorted her wardrobe out, and took a hearing amplifier in for her to try when she wakes. It might help until the hearing aids are sorted out..
The staff were kind and I think they know how tough it's getting for me.
I.was told that although she's eating, she hasn't been able to feed herself for a couple of weeks.
I'm grateful that they are honest with me.
Take care and hope its a good visit. x
Aw I hope you can get the hearing aids sorted....
Just back from a visit,mum always says she can't believe I was there...she wants to know who's looking after her house....
I took a photo album in and she enjoyed looking at it....not too bad a visit...
Hope things go OK for your next visit ... xx

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
Aw I hope you can get the hearing aids sorted....
Just back from a visit,mum always says she can't believe I was there...she wants to know who's looking after her house....
I took a photo album in and she enjoyed looking at it....not too bad a visit...
Hope things go OK for your next visit ... xx
Ah bless her. Must be hard to live inside their heads trying to make sense of all the changes and what's going on around them.
Brilliant idea to take a photo album! I don't think my mum can now see small images too well but I did the same about January.
So we've got through another day and probably feel better than we did this morning !
Have a good evening and be nice to yourself. xx

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Ah bless her. Must be hard to live inside their heads trying to make sense of all the changes and what's going on around them.
Brilliant idea to take a photo album! I don't think my mum can now see small images too well but I did the same about January.
So we've got through another day and probably feel better than we did this morning !
Have a good evening and be nice to yourself. xx
❤️