Feeling Cold

Poshbird

Apr 18, 2017
Hello, my mum has dementia, in the last few months she has complained of feeling cold, even though the bungalow is really warm. Is this another symptom of the dementia? Thanks in advance of replies.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont know, but my mum (with Alzheimers) used to complain of being cold all the time, as did my FIL (with vascular dementia)

Now, Im finding that my OH (with FTD) can no longer tell whether he is hot or cold. Sometimes he will go out in the cold in just a T-shirt and at other times when its really warm he will put a thick jumper on.

Im thinking that maybe the area of the brain that knows whether you are hot or cold gets affected by dementia.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
This hasn’t been a problem for us..but I do know of someone who has lost a lot of weight, and now feels the cold more. Could this be a factor? Or is Mum sitting a lot more than she used to?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The temperature receptors in people with dementia get damaged easily - why do you think day centres and care homes are always so warm?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It was a problem for us. Our heating was even on during a heatwave and my husband sat in the garden during the warmest weather wearing a fleece and a blanket and still complaining of cold.

I wonder if having diabetes makes it worse. I've a friend with diabetes who doesn't have dementia and she is always cold too.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad's another one who always seems to feel cold. Or not know if he's hot or cold. We've recently installed a tamper proof thermostat in his bungalow set to 23 degrees or he'd turn it right up to 30 and sit there sweating and smelling really not nice.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH always felt the cold, dementia made it worse.
He also couldn’t tell the difference as to wet or cold, as in a garment taken out of a drawer.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Maybe a good idea to get your mum's circulation tested in case there is something else going on. But, having had OH's circulation checked by the chiropodist it did look like it was dementia related. She had one warm foot and one cold foot for a few days in the summer. Diabetes and lymphedema can also cause feet to be cold, if not the rest of the body.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes Dad always complained he felt cold even in the summer and if he couldn't verbalize he would dramatically Shiver and shake

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't think feeling the cold is AZ related it's pretty common in older people, years before my mum was diagnosed she kept her house like an oven all the time and never moved from in front of the gas fire unless she had to. Many of my older friends keep their houses at a temperature I find uncomfortably hot.
Today in the care home it we 76C in the lounge, too hot for me but some of the residents had blankets round them but others were wandering about in T-shirts or a shirt or blouse, not even a jumper or a cardigan.
When my mum came to live with me I couldn't physically or financially keep the house hot enough for her the central heating couldn't cope nor could my bank account. I bought an electric heated "throw" rug (I think it was about £30 from Argos) it was about 5"x4" with several heat settings.
It goes on a chair then wraps round you and only cost pennies an hour to run. The advantage of it was that where she used to follow me round all the time with the heated rug she pretty soon decided to return to the comfort of her heated chair instead of standing next to me all the time.
K

LynnMarie

Nov 28, 2017
I believe that the dementia has something to do with feeling hot or cold. My husband was diagnosed with this disease over 10 years ago but just in the past year he has been complaining of feeling cold. Often has a coat on in the house, wore sweat pants all summer.
I am new to this site, can someone tell me what 'OH' refers to?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I believe that the dementia has something to do with feeling hot or cold. My husband was diagnosed with this disease over 10 years ago but just in the past year he has been complaining of feeling cold. Often has a coat on in the house, wore sweat pants all summer.
I am new to this site, can someone tell me what 'OH' refers to?
Hi LynnMarie, welcome to TP
Ten years ago your husband was 10 years younger than he is now and as I said before the feeling the cold thing is more age related than anything else (in my view). I would suspect that as he aged and as we all age some will begin to feel the cold more than when we were younger irrespective of whether we have AZ or not, feeling the cold is just a natural part of aging for many people, if you visit a home for the elderly then one for the elderly mentally impaired (as I do quite often) then there doesn't seem to be any difference in the number of people with a blanket.
K

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
sitting next to my OH used to always be like sitting next to an electric fire, night day, whatever... but in the last few years since diagnosed with MCI, he has often complained of being cold/having cold hands, like ice sometimes. Frequently late afternoon/early evening. Lately it seems he's in shirt sleeves when I'm cold, and in jumpers when I'm warm!! I've worked in CHs, and it's different than the usual 'old person having the heating up too high'. In fact I am trying to get him to report it to our GP...

lubyloo

Feb 9, 2015
Worc's
Hi, my OH cannot judge the heat, he can be sitting in his chair and complain he is hot take his sweater off, then literally 5 mins later complains he is freezing, so we put his sweater back on, and then it will be ' it is so hot in here is the heating on?' it drives me to distraction, but I know it is not his fault. I think sometimes he cannot be cold it is so hot in here, but when I feel his hands they often feel cold, so I am up and down putting the fire on, taking the fire off, the same with his sweater.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
During our last winter OH would always sneak the heating up to something ridiculous and I would turn it down only to find he has sneaked it up again. Now summer is here he is feeling the heat but can't work out how cool he wants it to be!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Now summer is here he is feeling the heat but can't work out how cool he wants it to be!
Rub our noses in it why don't you. It's night here and it's 3.2C outside and it's going to get colder, coming on here with all your summer and your daytime:D
We definitely go it wrong shipping the crims out to Aus and we stayed here, what a mistake that was back in the past, still you got all the spiders and snakes that kill people which we don't.
K

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Rub our noses in it why don't you. It's night here and it's 3.2C outside and it's going to get colder, coming on here with all your summer and your daytime:D
We definitely go it wrong shipping the crims out to Aus and we stayed here, what a mistake that was back in the past, still you got all the spiders and snakes that kill people which we don't.
K

We have just had a record spring stretch, nine days of 30 degrees and it is still November. Last summer we had a couple of days where it hit 45 degrees which was horrible. Having lived in UK for a few years, I don't think I would like all the grey days any more.

It depends on where you live whether you have snakes or not but I have a couple of red back spiders living in my garden. I work on the theory that if I leave them alone, they'll return the favour.

We occasionally come across snakes when we are working in a couple of the local nature reserves but if we give them a chance they usually prefer to slip away.

We did have a school teacher who was bitten by a snake while we were on school camp bushwalking for a week but he survived. And we had to chase the tiger snakes away from round an outdoor pool during a drought year. They just needed water and the local creek was dry. My brother had a carpet snake that lived in the gum tree near his front door and they had to make sure that the cat stayed indoors so he wouldn't end up as dinner.

I think more people get killed by sharks than they do by snakes or spiders.