Feeling clueless

yvonneryder

Apr 21, 2013
Ok I may go on a bit here but please bear with me. I appreciate any advice people may be able to offer.

My brother lives with my 81 year old Mum and she's making his life a misery. She is undiagnosed with dementia but I am 100% convinced she has it although she passed the mini mental with no problem. She ticks every box on the NHS site for signs of dementia plus both my husband and I work with people who are diagnosed as having dementia.

Since my Dad died in 1986 my brother and mum have lived in the same house together getting along quite well. About a year ago my brother retired and they moved to a much nicer house earlier this year. Things have gone drastically downhill since then.

She has become very jealous of his life away from the house unless she's with him and seems obsessed with the fact that he goes out at times for the day with friends. She is verbally aggressive about most of her children (she has 6) but my brother bares the brunt as he lives with her 24/7.

She has frequent tearful tantrums and does nothing for herself at all expecting my brother to take charge of all her hospital/Dr appointments make her drinks and even plug in her ipad when it needs charging.

I could go on and on but the nutshell version is she seems full of anger and jealousy even jealous of the fact my recently widowed sister is on anti depressants and she isn't her short term memory is fading and she she struggles to find the appropriate words at times.

My brother is at the end of his tether how on earth can I help him?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Diagnosis is the route to treatment and support. Whilst she might not have failed the MMSE it is only a snapshot in time. I would get a page a day diary and start recording ALL incidents including the behavioural things such as temper tantrums etc. get all the siblings to contribute and next time she has a doctor's appointment take the diary with you as evidence of what is going on.

As to your brother, he has to set boundaries about how he is spoken to and treated. This doesn't need to be nasty or anything but he has the right to tell her when she is out of order. One thing that can work well is Give a warning (I will leave the room if you don't stop shouting) and then have follow through and move to another room for a while. Tell him not to have prolonged arguments as they are pointless. This thread might help you all as it give tips about how to communicate with someone with dementia.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Fiona