Feeding

I'sdaughter

Apr 19, 2008
Cornwall
I'm sorry if I now have now to ask for help again- mum has has tias & now had a severe stroke RH side cant swallow, talk, does look around the room with such a frightened look in her eyes. Has said so many times in the past shes had enough. and now the hosp says - peg feed - choices - none . Mum hs not written a 'life care plan'. mum forced to endure more. how have you coped?

There has been huge blunders re other issues at the hosp I have been advised to contact PALS - this could delay the decision - but it does seem inevitable i will be seeing mum with a terrified look in her eyes, mum was almost fully functioning - walking, dresssing eating (was fussy) 'reading' & enjoyed outside. but STM.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello I'sdaughter

I am sorry to hear this
Its such an awful time for you and your poor mum.
I cant imagine what you must be going through

Im not sure how you feel about PEG feeding for your mum but I would not
have wanted that for my mum if there was no possibility of my mum getting better.

Do Please contact PALS asap.

LOVE to you xxx

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
y

have you asked for a meeting with the Dr's looking after her? Sometimes they can be presumtious and make these decisions without thought because they are pressured. Ask if you can have an "end of life" planning meeting. Do you have other relatives or long term frineds who might be able to offer you support and contribute to such meetings? i

I wish I could suggest something more, certainly PALS may able to help,

Best wishes

I'sdaughter

Apr 19, 2008
Cornwall
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I never complained to any one - i did contact pals & they have replied. Have a OH who is so patient, but finds all this so difficult too - we have bad expereinces with hosps. End of life meeting - not sure if i'm strong enough. have contacted my doctor - who's very supportive- hope mum gets the same support too. thank you again.

botanico

Dec 4, 2007
My mum was unable to swallow in the final stages of vascular dementia and there are helpful publications about this on the internet and the options available. Peg feeding was never an option for us and I wouldn't have taken that route as is my mum's case it would have prolonged the agony as there was no prospect of her ever being able to swallow again. It's a complex and difficult issue to face and in my opinion peg feeding is a temporary measure until a person can take nutrition by mouth, not a long term solution but I am not an expert.

Has your mum been refered to a Speech and Language Therapist? they can investigate the issue of swallowing as far as I am aware.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
I am sorry to hear about your Mum. This is a factsheet which may be of interest - a good way down there is a paragraph about swallowing, feeding and peg feeding.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=118

I do suggest you make an appointment with the Consultant in charge of your Mum within the hospital. It is important he/she knows that there is a very caring relative who needs to be involved.

Best wishes