Extremely anxious

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Hi All . Im currently experiencing memory probs & odd blurred vision . I saw my GP who asked me basic mem questions & done visual field test . Outcome was im not yet eligible for a memory clinic ! I'm very worried ( obviously) and wondered what is the criteria to get referred ? Thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @John 62 welcome, this is a friendly and supportive place. Sorry to hear that you are feeling so anxious, did the GP say what may be causing your symptoms, or suggest blood tests etc to rule out other health problems? I'm not sure if there is a specific criteria for referral to a memory clinic, it may vary depending on area/region, but as there are other conditions that can cause memory problems and blurred vision it's quite common for GP's to want to check and rule out any other health problems first before referring to the memory clinic. It might be a good idea to keep a daily record/diary of any symptoms you are having so that you are able to provide more details to the GP, and a visit to the optician might also be helpful in identifying any eye problems if you haven't had an appointment with them recently. You might find this link helpful:

We also have a forum titled "memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis" where you might find some helpful information too: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/memory-concerns-and-seeking-a-diagnosis.26/

Hope this helps.

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Hi Louise . Had every blood test imaginable & nothing found , also recently visited optician & sight was ok . Guess I will have to do a return visit to my GP , in coming weeks - months . I was asked very basic questions by the Dr regards memory : date of WW1 . Count backwards . Remember an address etc .

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Just an update on memory probs. Short term memory as in very short term is not great . Vision still blurred & strangely getting odd jerks whist sleeping or dozing off at night . Dr still not really interested in a follow up , but im highly worried....obviously. My vision is main concern & reading . Any ideas anyone: thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Have you been to an optician to check on any problems with your eyes that might be causing the blurred vision?
Does the blurring happen at any specific time or with any specific activity?

Odd jerks when sleeping or dropping off are usually myoclonic jerks caused by tension in the muscles - often associated with stress. I get it a lot!

Boxy

Aug 4, 2021
Hi All . Im currently experiencing memory probs & odd blurred vision . I saw my GP who asked me basic mem questions & done visual field test . Outcome was im not yet eligible for a memory clinic ! I'm very worried ( obviously) and wondered what is the criteria to get referred ? Thanks
Hi John
I first realised that my wife was beginning to have memory problems in June 2016 whilst on holiday in France with my son. We were getting ready to watch an England and France rugby final and my wife asked several times what time kick off was, I picked up on this straight away and my son agreed that there was an issue.
When back in the UK we visited the doctor several times for the 5 question test, however despite my insistence that there was a definite memory problem and after all when you have spent 50 years together you instinctively know when something is wrong however the doctor would not refer her to the memory clinic until such time as she reached the required threshold presumably a percentage basis whereby he was prepared to make the referral. We spent many months attending the memory clinic and in March 2018 she was diagnosed with mixed dementia Alzheimer's and Vascular.
I must say I was and still am really disappointed that she did not get an earlier referral especially as I knew better than the doctor in our case and was not believed.
Best Wishes John keep on pushing !!!.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
however despite my insistence that there was a definite memory problem and after all when you have spent 50 years together you instinctively know when something is wrong
How right you are! It's so disappointing when GPs don't listen to family and instead pay attention to the results of a very short very basic test. I'm so sorry you had this experience which unnecessarily slowed down your wife's diagnosis.
Dr still not really interested in a follow up , but im highly worried....obviously. My vision is main concern & reading .
Your GP doesn't seem very concerned about these worrying changes. Is it possible to find another GP? Perhaps make a list of all your matters of concern. I wouldn't worry about the jerking in your sleep though. I think it's quite common so be reassured on that score at least!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I missed that you said that you had already seen an optician about your blurred vision.
I have had another thought about this. Perhaps your GP would refer you to an Orthoptist. They are a little known health profession that deals with the muscles of the eyes, eye movements, how the eyes work together and how the brain interprets sight. This is very different from what opticians are looking at and they may find a reason for your blurred vision that opticians dont test for.

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
How right you are! It's so disappointing when GPs don't listen to family and instead pay attention to the results of a very short very basic test. I'm so sorry you had this experience which unnecessarily slowed down your wife's diagnosis.

Your GP doesn't seem very concerned about these worrying changes. Is it possible to find another GP? Perhaps make a list of all your matters of concern. I wouldn't worry about the jerking in your sleep though. I think it's quite common so be reassured on that score at least!

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Sorry for late reply only been very stressed & anxious lately . Myoclonic jerks virtually every night now & I some mornings very dark thoughts about life . Memory is ok ; but blurred vision a problem still , although can read acuity chart at opticians . Headaches occasionally now too & I will return to my unhelpful GP soon . Thanks for help

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
I missed that you said that you had already seen an optician about your blurred vision.
I have had another thought about this. Perhaps your GP would refer you to an Orthoptist. They are a little known health profession that deals with the muscles of the eyes, eye movements, how the eyes work together and how the brain interprets sight. This is very different from what opticians are looking at and they may find a reason for your blurred vision that opticians dont test for.

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Sorry for very late reply . Firstly I will ask for referral to orthoptist ( never heard of that ) maybe it's known by another name ? Headaches are very bad some days & it's an odd stabbing pain . My stress levels and anxiety are sky high now . Depression is with me 24-7 . Thanks for all help . Best wishes all . Ps im computer illiterate & this is real struggle

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Firstly I will ask for referral to orthoptist ( never heard of that ) maybe it's known by another name ?
No, it doesnt have another name, its just that the profession isnt very well known

I think you are doing very well with managing this site
:)

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi @John 62

Blurred vision and headaches concurrently should be taken very seriously. There are a handful of rare conditions that should be ruled out. If your GP is useless I would suggest you take a coffee and go sit at A&E where your eyes will have a full check over.

There is one condition in particular called Giant Cell Arteritis which my mum has with these symptoms, If this has not been already ruled out you are very much in your rights to got to A&E as the condition is seen as a medical emergency. The optician May know if this was checked when u visited them. or call and ask the GP.

The condition is very easily treatable so don’t panic but do make sure you follow this up.

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
Hi @John 62

Blurred vision and headaches concurrently should be taken very seriously. There are a handful of rare conditions that should be ruled out. If your GP is useless I would suggest you take a coffee and go sit at A&E where your eyes will have a full check over.

There is one condition in particular called Giant Cell Arteritis which my mum has with these symptoms, If this has not been already ruled out you are very much in your rights to got to A&E as the condition is seen as a medical emergency. The optician May know if this was checked when u visited them. or call and ask the GP.

The condition is very easily treatable so don’t panic but do make sure you follow this up.
Hi . I most definitely will go back to my GP & seek further investigation. The headaches are bizarre & are like prickly stabbing pains all over the head . They come & go during the day too . Thanks for reply ; I will keep updated .

John 62

Aug 23, 2023
SW london
No, it doesnt have another name, its just that the profession isnt very well known

I think you are doing very well with managing this site
:)
I live near a very good hospital , that has a good neurology dept . Got offered a private appointment, but declined as of yet . Thanks for help . Keep you posted .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980