Excessive crying and shaking in dementia

CarerM

Apr 17, 2024
Hello,

I am a carer and have the pleasure of looking after a client who is very dear to me. I’ve been caring for her for just over a year. When I first came to her she was mobile and quite aggressive (mostly verbally and on the rare occasion physically). With lots of hard work we managed to get her into a good routine and the aggression mostly stopped.

She recently lost her husband but wasn’t told this by her family as they didn’t want her to experience the trauma again and again. Her care team were also asked to keep this information from her. She has also had a decline in her mobility and is now assisted in her recliner chair or in bed with the assistance of a full body hoist.

Over the last 4/5 months she began crying and shaking non stop. She shakes her hands or taps them on her face or chest and can hurt herself without realising it. It almost sounds like she is slapping herself when she is doing this. As well as the shaking/tapping she cries all the time. We have reviewed her medication and she has seen the doctor many times but to no avail. We have done everything we can think of and been recommended to aid in her comfort and quality of life. No distractions like music/tv/games/ dementia support animals/ conversations work.

It’s very difficult seeing her this way when we can’t help and she is in constant anguish. I’ve searched high and low on Google. I’ve spoken to her doctor and family many times but can’t find anything that helps her.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions of things that might help or have similar experiences I would be incredibly grateful for some help and support.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Can't just read and run, I have seen people do as you describe on visits to care homes, no idea why and it's awful to watch.
Thank you for posting, you're a saint. K

CarerM

Apr 17, 2024
Hi Kevinl,

Thanks for your response. I don’t quite understand what you mean. If you could please explain and I can clear up any confusion that would be great.

Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Kevinl,

Thanks for your response. I don’t quite understand what you mean. If you could please explain and I can clear up any confusion that would be great.

Thank you
Too many visits to care homes and as a former NHS nurse many years ago the symptoms you describe are so familiar.
Slapping the palm of your hand against the forehead or chest is something we all do, involuntarily sometimes, watch any quiz programme when someone gets an obvious answer wrong they slap their forehead with an open palm hand, likewise slapping yourself on the chest usually indicates making you want to laugh out loud but can't or shouldn't or it's a sign of love, means thank you and give me a hug, people with limited mobility might get lifted and/or hoisted but how often do they get cuddled, always a good thing getting cuddled. K

CarerM

Apr 17, 2024
Too many visits to care homes and as a former NHS nurse many years ago the symptoms you describe are so familiar.
Slapping the palm of your hand against the forehead or chest is something we all do, involuntarily sometimes, watch any quiz programme when someone gets an obvious answer wrong they slap their forehead with an open palm hand, likewise slapping yourself on the chest usually indicates making you want to laugh out loud but can't or shouldn't or it's a sign of love, means thank you and give me a hug, people with limited mobility might get lifted and/or hoisted but how often do they get cuddled, always a good thing getting cuddled. K
That’s really helpful. Thank you once again.

Infinite

Aug 22, 2021
Yes Kevin you are truly amazing & it's lovely to hear your lv & care best wishes in your quest