Embarrassment!

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
My husband smoked for nearly 65 years until a few months ago when he could no longer remember what to do. He played with a pocketful of lighters for a week or two, would light them up, look at the flame for a while then blow it out. He'd put a cigarette in his mouth, chew on the end for a bit then park it somewhere. ( Unlit.).

This afternoon we (visually impaired son, PJ and I) made our usual trip to a local country park to feed the wild fowl. Sometimes PJ stays in the car, sometimes he gets out. Thanks to a radar key I can park within sight of the lake. Today he got out. He no longer knows what to do with a slice of bread for the ducks - sometimes he eats it, often places it in a very exact position on a picnic table. He found a different use for it today - he cadged a cigarette off a young man and solemnly handed over a slice of bread in payment! The young man tried so hard to light the cigarette for PJ but the coordination needed has long gone. I must say he did look very pleased with himself, going round with a cigarette dangling from his lip again. I did chase after the pair and explain the situation to he chap. I have a feeling he though I might be batty too!

Then PJ decided it was too windy outside so headed back to the car. I stayed with son but watched husbands progress. Halfway there, his trousers fell down. He stood stock still with trousers round his ankles, catheter tubes and frilly disposables all on view. It's surprising how fast I can still move for an old 'un! Got him sorted, safely back in the car then returned to son. No possibility of relaxing though. It was not long before the hazard lights started flashing. So tempting, that big red button. Twice this year I've had to call for help because PJ has been in the car and left the flashers on. Doesn't take long to run down the battery.

A typical day in our household. Have a good weekend everybody.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I shall be traumatised for the rest of the day at the mental images the poor ducks were forced to witness. :D

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
slice of bread for a cigarette..I really like that! What an afternoon for you...x

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Pross,

What a moving, beautifully related trip to the park.
10 years ago if I had read it, before I got a taste of dementia, I would have thought it was fiction. You know, a woman with a husband with dementia, but with a lot of elaboration. Now I know different.

And sadly, what you have described is a good day. Everyone in the park together. PJ ready to light up, and with enough manners to show gratitide for a ciggy. Shame about the trousers dropping..... again, that young couple will probably think it was Candid Camera and they were part of a set-up.

I read somewhere (Wikipaedia actually) that sometime fairly soon 1 in 85 people will have dementia. Due to my time on this forum, it feels a lot higher than that. In fact I rejoice in talking to anyone in their 70s who have all their wits about them.

What a remarkable lady you are. Driving your two dear ones to the park, keeping everyone safe and cared for, and then dropping PJ off, while you two return home. I salute you. If it were my husband, I know I couldn't cope. Life forces us to do things we really cannot do, and we end up doing pretty well.

Have a nice glass of wine tonight, think of it as a shared aperatif with me. So, lets raise our glass to everyone out there, across the Dementia World, and be so glad we have each other. For we are the lucky ones. We are carers, not victims of this dreadful illness.

Pross, can you taste the wine yet? Sante, my dear. To your health! Hugs BE

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear! What an expedition! Strangely it all sounds so familiar though. It's amazing what we can cope with when we have to. Well done you! x

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Hi Pross
I think it is brilliant of you to be doing this.
I used until recently to take MH to feed the ducks, from his NH. Mostly he just ate the bread himself.
I took him on a plane on holiday 2 years ago. He used to follow me into the Ladies at the airport and have people screaming at him to get out you stupid old man : he was 67.
On the flight, he would ceremoniously present the stewardess with a bit of fluff from the floor.
People haven't a clue have they?
I admire what you do. I'm afraid I had to stop.
Kind regards,
L

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Lowlander - a bit of fluff from the floor! My that rings a bell. Bill does that. Picks up a tiny bit of fluff or something and presents it to me!

As for loos - we use disabled access toilets all the time and I go in with him. Much, much easier. I still find flights a bit scary though. The loo is obviously too small for two of us to go into and trying to shout instructions through the door while there'a a queue behind you is not wonderful! At the moment Bill can still manage short flights without a loo visit then it's straight to the disabled access toilet in the terminal.

I know that one day we'll have to stop all of that too. It might not be too far away. x

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Oh Lowlander - a bit of fluff from the floor! My that rings a bell. Bill does that. Picks up a tiny bit of fluff or something and presents it to me!

As for loos - we use disabled access toilets all the time and I go in with him. Much, much easier. I still find flights a bit scary though. x

Hi Izzy
It was only a year ago that a lady dealing with MH personal care said to me Why don't you use the disabled loos?
It simply had never occurred to me. I saw the wheelchair sign on the doors and just thought it had nothing to do with us. Duh.
I discovered some lovely disabled loos in our area and it changed things for outings for us.
L

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know Lowlander - it's a whole new world! I originally got a radar key and used them with my mum. She was in her 90s and had vascular dementia. She used a wheelchair. After she died two years ago I kept the key and thought no more about it. It then became clear that it would be a good move to use them with Bill. The only thing that annoys me is that they often double as baby changing rooms as well. We have had some nasty looks waiting in a queue for one of these when we don't use a wheelchair and Bill doesn't look in any way disabled. Hey ho. I'll survive!!

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I know Lowlander - it's a whole new world! I originally got a radar key and used them with my mum. She was in her 90s and had vascular dementia. She used a wheelchair. After she died two years ago I kept the key and thought no more about it. It then became clear that it would be a good move to use them with Bill. The only thing that annoys me is that they often double as baby changing rooms as well. We have had some nasty looks waiting in a queue for one of these when we don't use a wheelchair and Bill doesn't look in any way disabled. Hey ho. I'll survive!!

Some people still think that if a disability can't be seen then it doesn't exist.

I envy them their ignorance.

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
Noorza and Meme, you made me smile. BE, you should join our walking group one Monday morning. I know. I know, it's a long way from France. But it's led each week by Elsie aged 83, at least six regulars are over 80 and most of the rest in their 70s. No dementia among that lot.

As for the glass of wine this evening - nice idea but I'm too tired. I'm sitting making cards while listening to an audiobook with my son while PJ is prowling around upstairs. He's already removed the pillowcases from our bed, emptied out our sons underwear drawer, carefully folded my pyjamas and put them on the landing windowsill and moved every cushion in the house to a different place. Goodness knows what else I'll find when I have the energy to go and investigate. We've had the battle of the trousers -- he needed changing and there's no way I can leave him like that and wait for the evening carer to come and deal with it. She's since been and dealt with the top half so all battles over for the day. I hope.

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
My husband wouldn't get dressed or leave the house so I didn't have to deal with these embarrassing situations but I was relieved that he gave the tooth that dropped out to me rather than my lovely cleaner!

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Ah Pross,
How do you keep going? The battle of the trousers. Well PJ is certainly busy and active. Have you ever tried our clever FiFimo's idea of having boxes with things to sort like buttons, keys and so on? Man's stuff like mobile phones with a few buttons, a few screws... I don't know.

At least you know where to find your pyjamas!
Night night. Sleep tight.
Mum gone to bed in a rage. She refused to eat, just added her sweetcorn to her fruit juice - which upset me to see it, but not her.
xx BE

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
[QUOTE
Mum gone to bed in a rage. She refused to eat, just added her sweetcorn to her fruit juice - which upset me to see it, but not her.[/QUOTE]

I have such high regard for you.
I go to feed my husband his lunch, in hospital, most days.
He is quite a tidy sort of eater. But I still find it completely puts me off eating when I get home. And I cannot bring myself to scrape the leftovers into the slop bucket as the others do. We had to do that at infant school and I have never been able to look at one since without gagging.
So, as he gains weight, I seem to be losing it kg by kg.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It gets on my nerves too when Wm does odd things with his food - and yet, I keep asking myself "Why?" - why does it irritate me? It's his food, not mine! I keep telling myself that as long as he's getting enough to eat, what does it matter? Why does it annoy me if he asks for icecream and then just keeps on stirring it around and around - and around and around and around - until he has a bowl of melted gloop, that he doesn't want? He was happy and calm and content, stirring and stirring, so what does it matter?

But somehow, every time, I feel my blood pressure rising!:rolleyes:

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
Lady A, that's just what happens here at some point (often many points) during the day. Something my husband does drives me insane. It's often trivial and doesn't really matter a damn in the great scheme of things but makes my blood boil nevertheless. He'll ask for coffee but not drink it, he'll move the dustbin from the garden into the garage, he'll move a pile of laundry from one place to another, he'll carefully fold my pyjamas and put them into a drawer except its a drawer full of tools. And so it goes on all day long. Except on day centre days when it just goes on from late afternoon. What does any of it really matter? Yet it is so irritating.

Margaret938

I would like to know more about Fifimo's ideas, I could maybe let my husband try them.
He is always touching things and moving things around. He is in a Care Home, and they are always looking for new ideas to keep him busy. He likes to be doing something.
Pross, I think you are amazing.
Love Margaret x