1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. beverrino

beverrino Registered User

Jan 12, 2015
    My mum is obsessed with elastic bands. Everything has to have at least one band around it. Then she takes them off and puts them back on. If (god forbid) one should snap then she ties it up to use again. Books, bits of paper - so many bits of paper - once written on - they are never thrown away - so pile up for more elastic bands. I don't know where she even gets them all from - they just appear - the exact same way that pens disappear! I am forever taking her pens and then they just vanish. Shufflng little piles around. And junk mail - oh it cant be thrown out she might 'need it' - so now I just - in a matter of fact way - say 'junk mail' and put it in the recycle box - on a good day I can get away with it

2. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    :eek: you and I have the same mother? wow hi sis. Junk mail, wants to know if I need, pens, papers and if you do throw in recycle, they return to the "couch" for you to read next time.
    Magazines.......I might read one day.

3. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    It was tissues with my mother. Stuffed up her sleeves, in her pockets, just everywhere. I had to be careful when doing the laundry that I got all of them.

If I were you, beverrino, I would quietly take bits away and toss them.

4. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Oh the recycling (shudder)
    Mum is in a care home now, but before she went in I used to put stuff in the recycling box and a neighbour used to put it at the front to be collected, but before it was collected she used to bring it back in again because she thought it was a delivery :eek:
    If he tried to explain she would get into a real argument and shout at him. She also became quite paranoid because she thought people were stealing her stuff and she was convinced it was the stolen stuff which was being returned (the junk mail had her name on it) so that proved that people were stealing from her (sigh)