DWP threatens unpaid carers with prosecution over minor breaches of benefits rules ...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont claim carers because it would benefit me. other benefits would just take it off my entitlement so ive in one and and take away with the other

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you were claiming a state pension its a different story.
They are classed as overlapping benefits, even if you defer DWP pension for a larger one at a later date you are deemed to have received it in relation to CA.

Last edited:

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I've never claimed carer's allowance, so probably don't know what I'm talking about - but it seems to me allowing people to earn up to £120 a week without losing it (CA) is a pretty good deal, as they must be part time carers anyway.

Taxpayers money has to be protected from fraudsters of course, but asking claimants who've made an honest mistake to pay back thousands is very harsh. Maybe asking them to return 6 months worth would be fair. Perhaps if it's that complicated, writing off the debt completely would be fairest. If they're an obvious carer I'd do that anyway - no questions asked.
I'm sure people looking into this will sort it out.
Hi @Neveradullday!
I have never claimed Carers' Allowance as I am not eligible (as a pensioner)!

However having said that I disagree with the first paragraph of your post. To get Carers Allowance, as I am sure you are aware, you have to be doing at least 35 hours unpaid caring, and if you do get paid employment for such time as you have left after the 35 hours caring, you are not allowed to earn more than about £139 per week, and if you do earn more then you're considered as overclaiming, and you are committing a crime.
So if you get the carers' allowance (£76.75 per week) (that is £2.19 per hour!) and you earn, say, £138 per week, so you are within the allowed limits, that means your income is £214 pwk approx = £11,128 pa. (for at least 45+ hours per week). I don't think anyone can easily live on £11,128 pa. I appreciate the person being cared for may be receiving a pension, so the cared for and the carer, if they pool their incomes, have about £20,00 pa - it is still not what you say is "a pretty good deal" - I think it's a b****y awful deal for all the effort and heartache and loss of other life that the carer has to go through just to get this survival.
Who would allow, and get away with, a worker to only get £2.19 per hour! Good deal, it's disgraceful compared with what HMGovmt save!
If this carer's paid your job isn't straight forward, then problems arise - for example, employer says to employee, we're a short staffed this week, would you like to do 2 hrs overtime at 1.5x hrly pay? Employee (and carer) would love to earn a few bobs extra, but so he/she doesn't fall foul of the rules, has to no I can do extra paid work. How silly is that?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Anybody earning slightly over the limit can reduce the assessed amount by paying into a pension fund, earnings are reduced by 50% of the payment into the fund.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hi @Neveradullday!
I have never claimed Carers' Allowance as I am not eligible (as a pensioner)!

However having said that I disagree with the first paragraph of your post. To get Carers Allowance, as I am sure you are aware, you have to be doing at least 35 hours unpaid caring, and if you do get paid employment for such time as you have left after the 35 hours caring, you are not allowed to earn more than about £139 per week, and if you do earn more then you're considered as overclaiming, and you are committing a crime.
So if you get the carers' allowance (£76.75 per week) (that is £2.19 per hour!) and you earn, say, £138 per week, so you are within the allowed limits, that means your income is £214 pwk approx = £11,128 pa. (for at least 45+ hours per week). I don't think anyone can easily live on £11,128 pa. I appreciate the person being cared for may be receiving a pension, so the cared for and the carer, if they pool their incomes, have about £20,00 pa - it is still not what you say is "a pretty good deal" - I think it's a b****y awful deal for all the effort and heartache and loss of other life that the carer has to go through just to get this survival.
Who would allow, and get away with, a worker to only get £2.19 per hour! Good deal, it's disgraceful compared with what HMGovmt save!
If this carer's paid your job isn't straight forward, then problems arise - for example, employer says to employee, we're a short staffed this week, would you like to do 2 hrs overtime at 1.5x hrly pay? Employee (and carer) would love to earn a few bobs extra, but so he/she doesn't fall foul of the rules, has to no I can do extra paid work. How silly is that?
Hi @Chizz - when you put it like that, of course it's an horrendous deal. I retract my "a pretty good deal" quote. A lot of carers on this forum do 168 hours/week of course not just 35, so CA pays pennies not pounds an hour. I have zero income, but at least I'm saving my mum approx £1500 a week. And I've got a roof over my head.

A couple of reasons I don't claim carer's allowance - my mum hasn't really had a formal diagnosis of dementia, despite being in hospital for over 3 weeks in 2020. A month later she had an appointment for a brain scan, could I get her to go? No way! She did have a brain scan in hospital during those 3+ weeks (to see if she'd had a stroke), but the discharge sheet just said 'probably dementia', if I remember rightly. It could have been temporary delirium, I suppose.
Also, if it's means tested, (or is that the other one), I wouldn't qualify. Third reason is, I don't have POA or deputyship (yet), so claiming might stir up a hornet's nest.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
my mum hasn't really had a formal diagnosis of dementia
No diagnosis needed

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
Armed Forces Independence Payment
Child Disability Payment - the middle or highest care rate

Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate

Also, if it's means tested, (or is that the other one), I wouldn't qualify.

Capital and interest are not assessed.
Only a limit of £151/week earnings (take home pay less 50% pension contributions)

Week is Monday to Sunday, no averaging hours or earnings allowed.

CA is taxable, recipient gets NIC credits.

POA/deputyship not necessary although you should set about getting one or the other.

Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
No diagnosis needed

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
My mum doesn't get any benefits, just the State Pension and a small private pension. In fact this year is the first year she will pay income tax as a pensioner, thanks to the frozen personal allowances.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I think carer`s allowance should be paid exactly the same as attendance allowance, and not related to any other income.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
It's interesting that in the news lately have been two items I noticed particularly:

1) The charity Carers UK are protesting to the Govt about the lowly amount allowed for the carers allowance (from 06/04/24 now at £81.90 per week, and paid employment wages allowed up to £151 per week)

2) Member of the Parkinson's Society charity - all of whom or at least most of whom have full mental capacity - have signed and handed into No.10 a petition demanding better care services for Parkinson's sufferers. (Picture of Jeremy Paxman in paper.)

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I've never claimed carer's allowance, so probably don't know what I'm talking about - but it seems to me allowing people to earn up to £120 a week without losing it (CA) is a pretty good deal, as they must be part time carers anyway.

Taxpayers money has to be protected from fraudsters of course, but asking claimants who've made an honest mistake to pay back thousands is very harsh. Maybe asking them to return 6 months worth would be fair. Perhaps if it's that complicated, writing off the debt completely would be fairest. If they're an obvious carer I'd do that anyway - no questions asked.
I'm sure people looking into this will sort it out.
I agree, my recollection is that it requires you to be able to provide care a number of hours a week which you can’t do if you’re working full time. I think they are following the rules, which might need changing. Losing carers allowance when you get state retirement is a bigger issue for me, I’m still providing virtually 24 hour care. More things that need an overhaul, although we probably can’t afford it!

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
BJ wanted to increase NI contributions to pay for NHS and Social Care. Instead NI cuts have been made which have mostly benefited the richest in society.