driving

biglinda

Feb 28, 2017
Iama 58yr old woman who, has recently been diagnosed with the very mild dementia ,the doctor said i had to inform the dvla ,i asked him if i would lose my licence and his reply was "good god my dear your a long way from that ",so i informed them and guess what they have revoked my licence although i have other conditions the other doctors have said im fine to drive .he has mislead the dvla on his form and and i dont know who to turn to im getting nowhere ,im so angry this person has robbed me of my independence i feel trapped. he didnt even do the assessment and even discharged me.can anybody please help me.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

From the DVLA website:

If you disagree with DVLA’s decision

You can write to DVLA if you disagree with the decision to stop you driving.

DM Business Support
D7
DVLA
SA99 1ZZ

You must include:

proof that you meet the required standards for driving (for example, a letter from your doctor or consultant)
the reference number from the letter DVLA sent you

You can also appeal the decision if you contact your local magistrate’s court within 6 months, or your local sheriff’s court in Scotland within 21 days.

Not sure if this helps but there is also a helpline number on their website.

When my wife was diagnosed with Fronto Temporal Dementia,the consultant said she should surrender her licence, which we did. In fairness, she'd already stopped driving, as she was getting confused with the controls etc.

Good luck.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
We also reported my husband's diagnosis as soon as he was diagnosed. He had his licence taken off him but it was replaced by a new one for 12 months. He was tested each year and had the licence renewed annually for 4 years. His licence was taken off him at the right time,

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It seems if you have been diagnosed with vasD the DVLA will withdraw your license. I think that this is because Tia's are a feature of this type of dementia, and they can occur at any time without warning.
If there is no vascular dementia involved and driving and route finding are OK, then appeal. They may make you take a retest at an assessment centre, but it's worth it to get driving again.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Go to any driving assessment centres and if you pass they ought to re instate your licence . My oh lost his licence initially but after the assessment he now has a yearly one with new assessment on renewal .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

biglinda

Feb 28, 2017
It seems if you have been diagnosed with vasD the DVLA will withdraw your license. I think that this is because Tia's are a feature of this type of dementia, and they can occur at any time without warning.
If there is no vascular dementia involved and driving and route finding are OK, then appeal. They may make you take a retest at an assessment centre, but it's worth it to get driving again.

i havent had a tia since 2014 and only had 3 since 2007 i also have sleep apnea but that has been under control for the last 7yrs the sleep clinic have made it clear that im not a danger i have never had an accident my daughter make the mistake of mentioning a car bumped me on a car park and knocked my wing mirror off .the doctor put in his report that i hit a car on a car park totally untrue .i have said im more than willing to sit one of there tests all i get is case closed im getting nowhere im more than capable of finding my way around i wouldnt mind the doctor even said i was boarderline early onset dementia but his comments on his form make me sound as though im in the advanced stages of it .

biglinda

Feb 28, 2017
Go to any driving assessment centres and if you pass they ought to re instate your licence . My oh lost his licence initially but after the assessment he now has a yearly one with new assessment on renewal .

Sent from myiPhone using Talking Point[/do you mean just any test centre or does it have to be a special driving test centre if so do you knoe where they are and how to contact them i live in the fy5 area near blackpool

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It has to be a DVLA approved centre , if you google it , it should come up with the ones in your area . You do have to pay for the first one yourself but any after you won't . Our consultant told us if OH passes the driving assessment the DVAL has to re instate the licence, unless you have a medical condition like Epilepsy , TIA,s or certain heart conditions . Hope that helps you . The assessment is quite hard though as it contains 2 parts one mental assessment followed by a driving test .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Definitely arrange an assessment as others have said - DVLA took my license from me in March last year (after diagnosis in February) without assessing me and refused to change their minds when I appealed. I had an assessment and passed and got my license back in November last year and on Friday this week I take delivery of a new car, so it's definitely worth trying if you feel you are fit to drive.