1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. drummer-john

drummer-john Registered User

Apr 29, 2005
    Leeds
    This is my first new thread - so here goes.

I've been feeling pretty positive recently. After the month from hell - Brenda had four seizures then went into a terrible psychotic state - our local Younger People with Dementia Team responded magnificently, and with a new medication regime, sorted out the problems and left us both feeling better. I felt it was like I'd got my partner back.

But now I'm back to earth with a bump. Of course, I haven't got my partner back. I've got the AD victim who is rapidly losing mental and physical function and is becoming more and more dependent - and who has already forgotten that brief moment when trust and affection came back into our relationship after a month of fear and disorientation.

I've read it many times here - this is a cruel disease that only heads in one direction. I was foolish to briefly hope otherwise. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi drummer-john

I think one of the most difficult things to cope with is abandoning hope for improvement.

I know that sounds really negative but I knew exactly how you must have felt when, what gave you so much hope, was completely forgotten, as if it meant nothing.

It`s a hard lesson to learn but we must grasp the moment, take as much as we can from it, but mustn`t expect it to be mutually beneficial.

Take care Grannie G