Dog being rehomed . Advice please.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Thankyou Mary. I am still sitting here crying, thinking about him being here with me this time last night. Hoping he will be OK tonight. I am assured dogs are very resilient , maybe more so than their owners. I won't hear any more now for 2 weeks when Gsd Rescue do their home visit. A long two weeks for me I think. . I have left the door open for him to come home if it doesn't work out. But I hope and think it will do.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
German shepherd pups need lots of attention and excercise. I think you made the bravest and best choice you could, for OH and your much loved pet. However i agree with the TP member who suggested a smaller (older) dog might be good for you and your OH especially if you feel the 'missing' of the dog goes on and makes him unhappy. The unconditional love of a dog (or cat) is hard to beat and is a therapy for all kinds of ailments. Sending you the biggest hug. Really sorry you had to do this.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Thanks Emac We move house on the 27th to a smaller house . We are taking a couple of our cats with us. We move from a farm so the outdoor cats are staying with our cat lover buyers. Our son lives in the village we are moving to and is on a farm. He gets a cocker spaniel in February and has said we can have her whenever we want , so this may be a good solution,we will see. I don't think a full time dog of any sort will be OK with my OH. Think the cats will be more pets when we move.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Thanks Emac We move house on the 27th to a smaller house . We are taking a couple of our cats with us. We move from a farm so the outdoor cats are staying with our cat lover buyers. Our son lives in the village we are moving to and is on a farm. He gets a cocker spaniel in February and has said we can have her whenever we want , so this may be a good solution,we will see. I don't think a full time dog of any sort will be OK with my OH. Think the cats will be more pets when we move.

That sounds like a positive move with lots of benefits including the part time spaniel option. :) It also sounds like you are dealing with the complete loss of your lifestyle because of this illness not just your dog so no wonder you are upset. This loss is just one of many for you so be kind to yourself and try and find time to do things which make you happy. I am sure your dog will be missing you too but over the weeks will settle and bond with his new people who sound like they will give him lots of love as they have lost a GS of their own.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Hi Emac .You are so right my life has taken a complete turn from where I thought I would be now. Just had to bite the bullet. Move to smaller house into a village where there are transport links, small shop and things going on .The dog going today I think just heightened everything for me and maybe was the straw.I have really howled today maybe just feeling sorry for myself and allI have lost to this dreadful thing. OH really doesn't get any of it .Maybe Iwill be better tomorrow.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
When my husband had to go into a care home I was really worried how he would cope without our lovely border collie - he never ever forgot her name, even though at times he didn't know me, and when he was sundowning he aways tried to take her with him. I made sure the home accepted dog visits and take her nearly every time I go, but I also got a life size toy border collie which I found on Amazon - very life-like.

It really comforted him and he carried it about everywhere at first - I told him it was a toy one for him to cuddle when the real one had to go out - but sometimes he thought it was real and tried to feed it. The staff said it was easier for him to settle in bed when they said the dog would be with him and its often by his chair or sitting beside him so he can stroke it

I know your situation is different as your husband is still at home, but its a thought if he really misses the constant presence of a dog, but your son's spaniel and the cats might be enough.

You are so brave to give up your lovely dog in his best interests. I'm sure it will work out. My heart goes out to you and I'm sending you big hugs xx

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Emac .You are so right my life has taken a complete turn from where I thought I would be now. Just had to bite the bullet. Move to smaller house into a village where there are transport links, small shop and things going on .The dog going today I think just heightened everything for me and maybe was the straw.I have really howled today maybe just feeling sorry for myself and allI have lost to this dreadful thing. OH really doesn't get any of it .Maybe Iwill be better tomorrow.

Give yourself permission to feel sorry for yourself as often as you like and for as long as you need to. Sadness and crying are a normal part of the grieving process for all you have lost so don't put yourself under pressure to 'snap out of it' or be OK right away. My Mum went into care in September and I had to have my elderly cat put to sleep mid October. I still have waves of sadness most days and shed a few tears over both! :( Acceptance will come but it takes its own time.Meantime be kind to yourself - sending a big hug xxxxx

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
How lovely for him to be walked in a forest. Of course you are sad but I also admire you for putting the dog's well being first...seems you have found him a perfect home and provided a safety net just in case......x

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Thankyou to everyone who has taken the trouble to post here. Came home tonight from my daughters no dog to greet us. Hope I can get used to this. All I needed was his greeting at the door . Set me into tears again. I knew I loved him ,I just didn't realise how much .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So sad. I do remember those times after I had to let my old faithful Labrador go, even though at his age he was never aware when I left the house and returned, fast asleep in his basket, but it was still comforting on my return to see/hear him snoring away in his basket. I miss having a big dog, but with mum's Dementia and her little dog it just isn't possible. Still we do have visiting dogs that I look after and they were all pals of my boy, so still a bit of a connection with him.

Sure the report back in 2 weeks will be positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65