Dog being rehomed . Advice please.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
I know it is the right thing to do for the dogs sake but seeing him go will be hard. We have a 12 month German shepherd who is much loved and kind.But he is lacking in walks and time as OH is taking more of my time OH loves the dog but doesn't know how to deal with him . So I contactedG S Rescue last week to see if they can rehome him. They told me today they have the perfect home for him and the couple are coming next week to see him if they like him( I'm sure they will he is a great and kindly dog )and I am happy he will go that day.I will be in bits but I know its the right thing to do .The plan is our son will take dad out and when they get back the dog will be gone.Any ideas on how to explain to oh if needed, think he may notice the dog has gone. We have wracked our brains but can't think of anything that will not distress oh. The truth is not an option.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I would tell him he has gone to the vet for a check up. Keep repeating it and changing the subject until gradually the memory fades.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
if not the truth then the vet check up and possible sudden illness story seems the best...very loving and brave of you to move the dog to a more suitable home, it must have been a very hard decision....the dog is still very young and needs a lot of energy and care...x

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
That was such a hard thing and brave for you to do. You must feel desolate, but for the dog's sake you did the right thing.

How to break it to your husband; that's a really hard one and I agree, definitely not a time for telling the truth. At the vet's for observation is a good short term explanation, but for the longer term you'll need something else as I imagine your husband will keep coming back to it.

All I can think of is to say the vet suggested getting a second opinion from another vet hospital a long way away, and then perhaps the distant vet finds the case so interesting he/she has asked if the dog could go and live, temporarily with him/ her for further study. And then the other vet's family love the dog so much you've agreed to leave him with them, as you'd be struggling to manage the exercise the dog needs, and the dog is happy there.

Someone else will probably come up with something much simpler. So sad for you, it's heartbreaking, and you're being so brave.

Last edited:

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Thankyou the vet seems a very good one .
I am struggling with it must confess. He is my mate and I think it will be hard for the dog too.ButI know it is the right thing for him.Isuppose I am lucky that GS rescue have done the ground work and seem to have the ideal couple waiting for him. Many dogs and owners aren't so lucky.. I do feel though that I have failed him.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Please don't feel you have failed 1Mindy, you have been the best kind of pet owner in putting your dog's welfare first. It sounds as though the rescue people have found him a lovely new home and they would have been carefully vetted, so you can be sure that they will be the kind of owners you would want for your beloved pet. Sending you big hugs.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Thankyou all. Now crying thinking about him whilst he is in the garden with oh. I know it is for the best certainly. We have got him for Christmas though he wont be here New Year. Think I will be in bits.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Nothing to add to the very good advice Mindy but just to say I am so sorry you have to let your beloved dog go. You are very brave and caring to make the right decision when it hurts you so much. Just the opposite to having let anyone down. Sending you love and a huge hug.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am so sorry Mindy, this must be such a hard decision. You are really brave and it seems as though it is 'meant to be' with such a good family coming forward so quickly.
Will be thinking of you xxx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Your emotions must be all over the place. Hopefully you will be able to follow his progress of settling in his new home. I have a vague memory of a photo of a German Shepherd being posted on here, was that you? My heart goes out to you, but it is the right thing to do, the most loving thing to do.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
So sorry you've got this to contend with as well as everything else, but no doubt you are doing the best for your dog. Huge hug. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
You could also ask the GS Rescue people if the new owners can let you know how the dog is getting on in its new home.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I can only reiterate what has already been said. You certainly have not let anyone down. On the contrary, you are putting the needs of the pup and your OH ahead of your own need for the dog. That is a very brave thing to do, especially when it is breaking your heart. I do hope you are able to take comfort from the fact that such a lovely couple have been found to adopt the dog.

Mulberry50

Feb 5, 2015
Maidenhead, Berks
I congratulate you on doing the right thing for the dog.
Have you considered replacing the German Shepherd with a smaller dog that does not necessarily need as much walking and/or getting a dog walker to take the dog out regularly?
I know from having dogs in the family for nearly 60 years how important they are to those who love dogs (my mother aged 88 has just taken on another dog!) and the calming effect they have and hence i urge you to seriously consider getting another, but more manageable dog.
Best wishes for the journey.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Just an update.My wonderful GS went to his new home today. Lovely couple who lost their old GS in October. He's now in the Wyre forest, been on his first walk.Now although a bit disorientated is exploring his new home. I'm in bits but it was the right thing to do. Oh thinks he has run Off as he did a couple of times he's not upset I don't think just very quiet .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So pleased and it sounds like new owners are going to keep you up to date with his settling in. Fingers crossed all goes well and you find comfort knowing that he is in a good new home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455