Does dementia interfere with the ability to walk?

XT2

Apr 27, 2021
Near Tring, Herts.
My wife has Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia. Since the beginning of the year aspects of her behaviour and attitudes have significantly worsened. One aspect is she either doesn‘t want to walk -with or without a frame or rollator - or walks very poorly to the extent I have bought a wheelchair. I shall be grateful for a view as to whether this is typical? Thank you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @XT2 . This is a very friendly and supportive place.
I didn't realise until my mum started having mobility problems that dementia affects all parts of the brain. Mum had always been fit and up to her mid eighties was pretty speedy on her feet. Gradually she slowed down and became more unsteady. The last year of her life she couldn’t really walk at all.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
It is for my Mum. She’s developed what I call a ‘Dementia shuffle’, where it’s almost as if she’s forgetting to lift her feet up enough take a step. She’s had a couple of falls where she’s misjudged a very low step between two rooms.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
my neighbour had dementia, she always took her husbands arm when they went out as she just shuffled along...

Rainfalls

May 22, 2024
My Mum has dementia 7 years, her mobility has declined over last 4 years, she can still walk but has the slow shuffle. She has a frame that she uses on and off. I have to keep an eye on her, but I let her walk as much as possible with supervision as I feel it's best to try to keep her mobility as long as possible. She frailty scale 6.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I know it's rude to ask a woman's age but can I break the rules and ask how old?
We all age differently, no secret I turn 70 next year and I was 30 feet up a ladder clearing out the roof gutters the other day.
Age isn't just a number. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Mine is slow and unsteady. He sways and weaves. Someone accused him of being drunk. He has a mobility scooter for small walls and has a taxi or lift for longer trips.

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
My Mum developed the shuffle too and found it increasingly tricky to get out of armchairs unaided. We had to be very patient however, as offers to help were sometimes met with a VERY firm “No!”

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My husband's mobility is getting worse but a few days ago seemed to deteriorate very fast. He then started saying that his feet hurt. I looked at his slippers and they were breaking down because he tends to slide his feet into them and 'stand' on the bit at the back. I try to catch him before he does this but I can't be everywhere. I went out yesterday and bought him a new pair of slippers and - hey presto - he is walking better (not perfect, but better). I do blame a lot of it on the dementia shuffle. That wears shoes and slippers out far too quickly.

It's worth keeping an eye on the footwear. If my slippers are uncomfortable, I'm aware of the cause of it but he can't work out out why.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My husband's mobility is getting worse but a few days ago seemed to deteriorate very fast. He then started saying that his feet hurt. I looked at his slippers and they were breaking down because he tends to slide his feet into them and 'stand' on the bit at the back. I try to catch him before he does this but I can't be everywhere. I went out yesterday and bought him a new pair of slippers and - hey presto - he is walking better (not perfect, but better). I do blame a lot of it on the dementia shuffle. That wears shoes and slippers out far too quickly.

It's worth keeping an eye on the footwear. If my slippers are uncomfortable, I'm aware of the cause of it but he can't work out out why.
Hi @Rishile , my oh has broken the back down on his shoes . I use a long shoe horn to ensure his feet slide in properly. Also use velcro shoes after I had ten knots to undo on his laces before we had to go for a hospital appointment.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
Hi @Rishile , my oh has broken the back down on his shoes . I use a long shoe horn to ensure his feet slide in properly. Also use velcro shoes after I had ten knots to undo on his laces before we had to go for a hospital appointment.
Hi @maggie6445. The broken back on shoes and slippers can make it very uncomfortable when walking which was the point of my message. I really wasn't aware that part of his mobility problem was being caused by the slippers. They were causing him to compensate for the lack of support that the slippers were creating. These are things we take for granted for ourselves but he wasn't aware of the problem or the easy solution.

maggie_w

May 27, 2024
My mother has been suffering from dementia since 2019. Her mobility has deteriorated since then; at home with a frame, and in a wheelchair when going out. Recently, she has developed "toilet obsession" that keeps her going to the toilet/the commode every hour and staying there for an excessive amount of time. It largely worsens her mobility, making it difficult to lift her feet to make a step forward. Sometimes, she even needs the wheelchair at home. I've found her leg muscle is very stiff so encourage her to walk and move her feet and legs when sitting down wherever she is. Hope it helps to relax her muscles.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @XT2

My wife, like your's, has mixed Alz/Vasc dementia. When my wife was first diagnosed I asked if the vascular system was one body wide system and was she likely to have vascular issues elsewhere, rather than just in the brain. It was confirmed that this was so.

My wife has developed the slow Alzheimer's gait but is also very unsteady. I was told that this latter aspect was more than likely caused by the general vascular issues. These issues have also reduced stamina and my wife is loathe to walk anywhere outside the house and uses a rollator when indoors. This may be happening to your wife.

I wish you both strength.

houston

May 29, 2019
My husband is still walking well loving his daily walks with his dog and he has not lost his sence of direction he is 7years into his dementia diagnoses. his walks are getting shrter and he is sleeping in the daytime more but with the lighter mornings he is up and trying to go out at 4.30am... he cant cook control money or wash without help and prompting he will go to bed in his clothes if not reminded to change into nightwear. He has lost a lot of his words and finds comunicating difficult and so avoids groups of people and conversation. It seems you can not say which part of the memory will go with Altzhiemers and if you saw my husband out for a wolk with his dog you would think there was nothing wrong with him. Ita a strange and challenging illness

SoniaR

May 25, 2024
My husband has vascular dementia and his mobility is getting much worse. He’s had several falls and takes a while to get up from the chair. One time he fell in the bedroom and couldn’t get up so had to call his son to help at 5am! He also tends to shuffle whereas before he was a strider. Going out is difficult as he can’t walk far. I’m disabled with osteoarthritis so can’t push him in a wheelchair, although I usually use a mobility scooter. A scooter would not be safe for him, he can’t remember how anything works anymore and he would be a danger to others. With footwear he wears Skechers trainers indoors. They are comfortable and supportive.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my husband retired aged 60, he began walking. He walked for two hours every day. He became obsessive abut it and sometimes when the weather was too bad, he walked around the house like a caged tiger.

After diagnosis aged 73, he still walked for two hours every day but gradually after a few years, his mobility began to suffer until he lost it totally.

I think it was a combination of muscle wastage which slowed him down initially and dementia which quickened the decline.

There was a time when he was unable to put one foot in front of the other. He held on to a grab rail and walked on the spot while moving his hand forward along the grab rail.

It was obvious the dementia was taking it`s toll.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My aunt had trouble with walking, she would lean sometimes or even freeze on occasion. It didn’t happen all the time. Eventually she was diagnosed with vascular dementia but not until other, more typical, symptoms appeared.

XT2

Apr 27, 2021
Near Tring, Herts.
Thank you all for your comments, appreciated.
Hello @XT2

My wife, like your's, has mixed Alz/Vasc dementia. When my wife was first diagnosed I asked if the vascular system was one body wide system and was she likely to have vascular issues elsewhere, rather than just in the brain. It was confirmed that this was so.

My wife has developed the slow Alzheimer's gait but is also very unsteady. I was told that this latter aspect was more than likely caused by the general vascular issues. These issues have also reduced stamina and my wife is loathe to walk anywhere outside the house and uses a rollator when indoors. This may be happening to your wife.

I wish you both strength.
Thank you for your reply and good wishes. Yes, you could be describing exactly how my wife has changed. I wish you too strength and peace.