Desperate. Appalling Situation

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I agree with all the comments. Please take note of Lemonys advice - especially the phrase written in bold. This phrase is one to use as it is written as it contains "buzz words" that will make them sit up and take notice.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree this is appalling. I don't know if perhaps there is a GP or other physician or health professional, who could be appealed to, or at least made aware of the situation?

The buzzwords of vulnerable adult at risk, and holding them responsible for anything that happens, are important.

Also don't forget the phrase, "duty of care" and to mention that social services have the duty of care, not anyone else.

I'm so sorry and I hope your friend can find a solution she can live with. Best wishes.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If they want to replicate how dad will be at home then replicate the real situation.
Don't take the day off work and leave the dogs where they are, that's the situation that he'll be in, not some artificial construct of your friend being there with no dogs.
They're set dressing the situation to make it look good so they can justify saying he can go home under totally none realistic circumstances.
K

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
All becoming blatantly clear now

Thank you all again for your responses. I called the helpline today and we are singing from the same hymn sheet it seems as regards my friends plight.

However it seems, now I have spoken to her further, the situation has arisen due to her Dads capital getting close to the threshold which means that, as the house is being disregarded and not to be sold (as my friend has lived with her parents there all her life and that would render her homeless) the council now have to pay half the CH fees. I believe this is why the SW is trying it on.

I have been advised that as a Ct scan was done a year ago and proved her Dad had Vascular Dementia as well as acute subdermal haematoma (due to falls but which due to his age and condition did notvwant to operate) and was deemed to have no capacity, there is no way, short of a medical miracle, that this has changed. In any case the SW has no business to be saying he doesn't have dementia and now has capacity. How is she qualified to say so? I also believe my friends sister is somewhat closely involved in this too.

I am currently working on a letter for my friend to send to the relevant people and she has today requested his notes from the care home to prove his behaviour there and also medical notes from when the decision was made at the hospital a year ago of his assessment. I'm hopeful this should put this SW straight. Incidentally her Dad has had a lot of falls recently at the home and has broken his wrist so again, how does this SW think she can take him out of the CH and return him home after a year of the original decision being made that he needed 24/7 nursing care?!

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Good, am glad our suggestions and advice concur. I haven't any dealings with adult SS for my dad as completely self funding but did fostering of children aged 0 to 5 for a number of years. From my experience of Social Workers working in that field only a few were good at their job. Some were hopeless and could not apply any common sense to a situation so imagine the adult side of SS have similar ....good sensible flexible staff and those that aren't. Difficult job sometimes but.....where is the common sense!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Brings back a memory of a friend who's oh had dementia and the social worker/what ever they were called, decided that the oh should have a say in whether he went into a care home, so, when asked, was told by person with dementia there was nothing wrong with them, the social worker "turned" on friend and told them that they had to keep the person with dementia at home

Friend was on their knees with carer break down.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Newish to here and I'm afraid I have not read all the threads, so apologies if this has been gone into. The councils have run out of money. Certainly where I live spaces in CHs are so few and far between that you are interviewed to see if the 'patient' will be suitable and you, as the carer and presumably the funder, will be able to meet their criteria and their bills. I too am in a situation with a brother who denies there is anything wrong with mum (dad died in the 80s) and is constantly checking to make sure that I am earning enough to keep myself (i.e. not dipping into mum's funds) and keeping a close eye on the money she has. Mum's situation is obviously declining all the time, I am knackered and can't even find respite care in a CH. When the time comes for her to go into full time care (assuming I can find somewhere) her money will go on her care. I have no problem with that but the council have already made noises about funding when the money runs out and questioned my situation (mum lives with me in my house). I have to hold out so that my house is not sold from under me to fund her because that will mean - being divorced and having no children - there will be nothing for my care when the time comes. I have noticed that the SWs are much less sympathetic recently and my feeling is they are responding to council directives, i.e. get as many people out of the CHs and back into domestic/family homes asap. Box ticked. Budgets cut (JMO...)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Fullticket. If the house is yours then there is no way that SWs can insist that it is sold to fund her care. Only her money/assets are included in financial assessments.