Dental Care

DinSin

Jul 13, 2023
My Mum has dementia (diagnosed 4 or 5 years ago) and has recently moved in with us as my Dad had to be admitted to hospital due to a heart condition.

It is now apparent that Mum hasn’t been to a dentist for years. She is not registered at the dental practice.

Any advice about how to get dental care for her would be appreciate.

many thanks
Denis

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
My Mum has dementia (diagnosed 4 or 5 years ago) and has recently moved in with us as my Dad had to be admitted to hospital due to a heart condition.

It is now apparent that Mum hasn’t been to a dentist for years. She is not registered at the dental practice.

Any advice about how to get dental care for her would be appreciate.

many thanks
Denis
Could you ring your own dental practice to see if you could register her there? I recently had to do that for my husband, who had not ever (as far as I am aware) visited a dentist! I told them when I first rang that he has Alzheimer's and it has been put on his file. I go in with him and they are absolutely wonderful when dealing with him.

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello @DinSin
Due to my Mum not being able to cope with going to a Dental Surgery I've found a local Dental Practice who do Domicillary visits . This is not NHS but private - so expensive but there was an urgent need for an examination.

LLHFG

Apr 16, 2022
Hi @Tilly13 do check out what @Louise7 suggested re the NHS Community Dental Service. I had Mum's old dentist refer her. They called the next day to arrange a first examination, they came within 2 weeks, did all xrays etc and offered treatment the next week, and have my PWD on regular 3 monthly checks due to the state of her teeth. Really excellent service. May well differ due to NHS postcode lottery but its worth exploring - Mum had always been private prior to this due to the state of NHS dentistry but I have been blown away by the domiciliary care under the NHS.

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hi @LLHFG
So interested to hear that you had good service from the NHS Community Dental Service.
I had phoned NHS England and been given a local number for them but had a very obstructive person who was not hopeful my Mum would be referred !!!
So I made the decision to go private as a one off to hopefully resolve Mums immediate problem.

I have been able to talk though to a different person and have found out where to print out a referral form and that the Care Home can refer her - I hadn't thought of her old dentist ( although now not in the same county )
After the visit I think I will have a go at organising something with them.
Thanks for your info

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Good luck. I fell foul of the NHS community dental service with my mum. Her dentures had been lost in hospital (don't ask) and she only had a few front teeth left at the bottom. I contacted the service and stressed it was urgent. Long waiting list they told me. I chased it (several times) for the next 18 months as mum lost 1, 2, and 3 of her 4 remaining teeth. They just kept telling me mum was on the list but it may be a long wait.

Eventually I gave up. Mum lost her remaining tooth and nobody ever came to see her. She died toothless.

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello @Jaded'n'faded
I fear it could well be a similar situation here. I was told long waiting list,not certain she will be a successful referral etc etc
I think it's such an awful situation - so many people in this country without access to NHS dentists.

My Dad has a plate with his 2 front teeth on. I've found them in various places around his bedroom and worry that one day they won't be found! Like the ongoing saga of glasses !!!!!!!
It is so sad that your Mum was never seen - another lack of dignity and care.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fi83