Refusing to receive urgent dental care

Marta B

Apr 26, 2024
My sister-in-law has been in care home for 2 years. As a result of poor dental hygiene over the last year (refuses to brush her teeth) she now needs urgent extractions and fillings. She refused to attend dental appointment accompanied by staff so next time I will be present. Even if I manage to persuade her to go I am still concerned as to how to cope with negative behavior when sitting at the dentist chair. Has anyone had to face similar problems?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Marta B I do not have any experience of this but I am wondering if it would be useful to have a word with the dentist prior to the appointment to discuss the issue, I am sure that they will have come across this before.

There are sometimes dentists who visit care homes, is there anything like this in your area, your sister-in-law might be more comfortable undertaking treatment in a familiar area.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Would it be possible to request a one off sedative from the GP or the dentist? But you should certainly speak to the dentist beforehand. If she needs a lot of work done could she be referred to the hospital to have it done under a light general anaesthetic - that's what my sister with a learning disability had - don't know if NHS still do that. Good luck

Marta B

Apr 26, 2024
Thank you for your very helpful replies. She has been visited by a dentist at the home but treatment required means she now needs to go the surgery. I will get contact details from the care home and try to speak to the dentist in advance, and perhaps also her GP to discuss possibility of a sedative, Thanks again