1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. lexy

lexy Registered User

Nov 24, 2013
    #1 lexy, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Channel 4 on Thursday at 9

"compelling and moving series showing progressive ways of caring for people with the condition"

2. JigJog

JigJog Registered User

Nov 6, 2013
    Thank You

Thank you for sharing this. I shall certainly watch it but would have missed it if you hadn't spotted it.

Thank you.

JJx

3. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    #4 stanleypj, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    This new series which starts on Thurs 4th June at 9 p.m. on Ch 4 could be of interest. I know that TV programmes about dementia often disappoint or frustrate us by not presenting what we regard as the unvarnished truth about the condition. But Twofour, the company behind the truly excellent 'Educating Essex' etc have been involved in making this one so it might well be worth a look.

4. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    scary stuff

5. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    For anyone interested, Dr David Sheard's Butterfly Scheme is included in the Channel 4 3 part series on dementia starting on Thursday at 9 pm. This is the scheme I've mentioned several times which has been adopted by Fred's care home and for which they are accredited. The programme should make for interesting watching and I hope I haven't broken any TP rules by mentioning it.

6. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    One of the problems I foresee is that whatever they focus on they will find it hard to scratch the surface of the complexity in a handful of programmes. And the 'loss of memory' will probably be over emphasised.

But we'll see!

7. JigJog

JigJog Registered User

Nov 6, 2013
    Demetiaville on tonight

Just a reminder that this is on TV tonight Channel 4 9pm :)

8. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  9. Hair Twiddler

Hair Twiddler Registered User

Aug 14, 2012
    Middle England
    I kinda' wish I had the stamina to watch this .... but all I'm looking forward to is a repeat of New Tricks.

10. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Oooops forgot. Have started recording now, thanks.

11. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I'm recording it too. The rest of the family don't want to watch it so I'll have to try to find a time when I can catch up. Can't blame them really :)

12. TDA

TDA Registered User

Mar 3, 2015
    Just watched the 2nd half of this programme, as usual all the persons involved seem to be just happy and amenable, easily distracted, and not a all like my mum who can go from laughing -to total confusion in the blink of an eye, and is very distressed daily with what is/has happened to her over the last three years!

13. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    Just watched this. Not sure what I think really. It was thought provoking though! Wish I could find a memory that my mum responds to.

14. Carabosse

Carabosse Registered User

Jan 10, 2013
    Just put a bit in the Tea Room about this. I found it very moving that a care home actually cared about the residents rather than correcting them all the time and trying to bring them into the present day, what harm does it do for the staff to go into the world the residents have?
    The staff of the home in the programme seem to go out of their way to make the lives of the residents more enjoyable, rather than sticking them in a chair and leaving them, or sticking them in front of the TV or worse doping them up to the eyeballs to keep them quiet.

15. Concerned J

Concerned J Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    I'm watching it now. My Mum is no where near this stage but can only imagine that not arguing/contradicting facts would make for an easier life all round.

16. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    Yes the staff were amazing especially the guy. They did seem to really care!

17. lexy

lexy Registered User

Nov 24, 2013
    #18 lexy, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I cried through most of the programme because it brought back many memories for me. I loved the way they took people back to a happy time in their lives. I could usually do this with my mum when I talked about when my brother and I were babies this would always bring a smile to my mum's face. The fact that the staff did not wear uniforms I thought was much better and staff wearing pyjamas at night was a brilliant idea.

I think this is a much more sensible and kinder approach to caring with dementia residents. The staff had good knowledge of this illness, this home seemed a million miles away from other care homes, in a good and positive way
    My mum was not as amenable as some of the residents in the programme but if I could manage to find out where she had "gone" in her head she was a little bit easier to care for..

I think there are two more programmes to watch.

18. Felix123

Felix123 Registered User

Mar 13, 2015
    Tamworth
    I love how caring they are and how they allow their residents to feel happy and secure in place they are most content. Very moving to watch

19. Concerned J

Concerned J Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    Very moving. What a lovely atmosphere for the people who must live in such a befuddled world. The staff were amazing. I'm in tears here!