dementiaville

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Channel 4 on Thursday at 9

"compelling and moving series showing progressive ways of caring for people with the condition"

Last edited:

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Thank You

Thank you for sharing this. I shall certainly watch it but would have missed it if you hadn't spotted it.

Thank you.

JJx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This new series which starts on Thurs 4th June at 9 p.m. on Ch 4 could be of interest. I know that TV programmes about dementia often disappoint or frustrate us by not presenting what we regard as the unvarnished truth about the condition. But Twofour, the company behind the truly excellent 'Educating Essex' etc have been involved in making this one so it might well be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
For anyone interested, Dr David Sheard's Butterfly Scheme is included in the Channel 4 3 part series on dementia starting on Thursday at 9 pm. This is the scheme I've mentioned several times which has been adopted by Fred's care home and for which they are accredited. The programme should make for interesting watching and I hope I haven't broken any TP rules by mentioning it.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
One of the problems I foresee is that whatever they focus on they will find it hard to scratch the surface of the complexity in a handful of programmes. And the 'loss of memory' will probably be over emphasised.

But we'll see!

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Demetiaville on tonight

Just a reminder that this is on TV tonight Channel 4 9pm :)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm recording it too. The rest of the family don't want to watch it so I'll have to try to find a time when I can catch up. Can't blame them really :)

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
Just watched the 2nd half of this programme, as usual all the persons involved seem to be just happy and amenable, easily distracted, and not a all like my mum who can go from laughing -to total confusion in the blink of an eye, and is very distressed daily with what is/has happened to her over the last three years!

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Just watched this. Not sure what I think really. It was thought provoking though! Wish I could find a memory that my mum responds to.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Just put a bit in the Tea Room about this. I found it very moving that a care home actually cared about the residents rather than correcting them all the time and trying to bring them into the present day, what harm does it do for the staff to go into the world the residents have?
The staff of the home in the programme seem to go out of their way to make the lives of the residents more enjoyable, rather than sticking them in a chair and leaving them, or sticking them in front of the TV or worse doping them up to the eyeballs to keep them quiet.

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
I'm watching it now. My Mum is no where near this stage but can only imagine that not arguing/contradicting facts would make for an easier life all round.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
I cried through most of the programme because it brought back many memories for me. I loved the way they took people back to a happy time in their lives. I could usually do this with my mum when I talked about when my brother and I were babies this would always bring a smile to my mum's face. The fact that the staff did not wear uniforms I thought was much better and staff wearing pyjamas at night was a brilliant idea.

I think this is a much more sensible and kinder approach to caring with dementia residents. The staff had good knowledge of this illness, this home seemed a million miles away from other care homes, in a good and positive way
My mum was not as amenable as some of the residents in the programme but if I could manage to find out where she had "gone" in her head she was a little bit easier to care for..

I think there are two more programmes to watch.

Last edited:

Felix123

Mar 13, 2015
Tamworth
I love how caring they are and how they allow their residents to feel happy and secure in place they are most content. Very moving to watch

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
Very moving. What a lovely atmosphere for the people who must live in such a befuddled world. The staff were amazing. I'm in tears here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR