dementiaville

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Just watched it on CH4+1 and am snuffling away here. That poor lady whose husband died, my heart just goes out to her.

But what a great idea to have the care home night staff wearing pyjamas! So simple but brilliant!

I found the programme very inspiring although it doesn;t really apply to my situation at the moment. My Mum isn't that far gone either, she's still clinging on to the present but it makes her so unhappy because she knows what's happening to her.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
... The fact that the staff did not wear uniforms I thought was much better and staff wearing pyjamas at night was a brilliant idea.

I think this is a much more sensible and kinder approach to caring with dementia residents.

The staff had good knowledge of this illness, this home seemed a million miles away from other care homes, in a good and positive way
This was not the 'usual' type of care home as my understanding from what I have read about it was that it is a British Legion care home. So perhaps hence the differences...

See nitram's link, post #2.

My husband is in a dementia wing of a care home where there are 16 dementia residents. They are all much further advanced into dementia than those on the CH4 programme. The staff are kept extremely busy.

stanleypj

One of the problems I foresee is that whatever they focus on they will find it hard to scratch the surface of the complexity in a handful of programmes. And the 'loss of memory' will probably be over emphasised.

But we'll see!
Well they did concentrate on the 'loss of memory' aspect. As you say, over emphasised.

Interesting programme but dementia is a much more complicated disease than came across in the programme.

Loo

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Did enjoy the program and thought everyone was very well cared for, however was it just me or was this Dementia different to what other people on here experience. I would love my father to be like any of the loved ones in the program, call me syndical and I am not knocking the care home or any person featured in the program but they did not seem to show any of the bad parts which also goes along with this very cruel disease. To me it didn't seem to show the gravity and destruction this disease has on families or am I just not getting it ????

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Did enjoy the program and thought everyone was very well cared for, however was it just me or was this Dementia different to what other people on here experience. I would love my father to be like any of the loved ones in the program, call me syndical and I am not knocking the care home or any person featured in the program but they did not seem to show any of the bad parts which also goes along with this very cruel disease. To me it didn't seem to show the gravity and destruction this disease has on families or am I just not getting it ????

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Watched dementiaville program last night and the patients all appeared happy and it was great to see members of staff who understood that the patients brains / memories worked very good if the conversations about their memories.

now to agree to a certain extent with Chewy we have those with dementia who have declined much further and I think we all know that and we have seen TV programs,

but fortunately there are thousands with a diagnoses of dementia living fairly normal lives and still , Working , Paying Golf , or Other Sports, Driving,
Dementia is one of those illness where people affected are so different but all treated the same by bureaucrats}

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
This new series which starts on Thurs 4th June at 9 p.m. on Ch 4 could be of interest. I know that TV programmes about dementia often disappoint or frustrate us by not presenting what we regard as the unvarnished truth about the condition. But Twofour, the company behind the truly excellent 'Educating Essex' etc have been involved in making this one so it might well be worth a look.
I watched this last night and i was in floods of tears so sad, especially if ur living it like everyone on here

jen54

May 20, 2014
watched this last night, found it very moving
I do agree it is cruel to keep trying to pull people back into the present, lets face it- they haven't really any future to look forward to, and if you keep reminding them or pulling them back into the present- they either will be distressed, and forget immediately for it to start all over.
I did think we would see more people, and a bit more in depth- as said, it really didn't show much about all the difficulties of dementia..but having said that, perhaps too much is made of the bad bits? the care part-and not enough about the ways to keep people contented, everyone looked happy and what harm is it to anyone to go along with what makes people happy. I would hope more homes would go this way, though not sure about when we get there..me and OH were discussing how we would be wanting to see platforms and glam rock- none of us will have war time memories, and wondering if our kids will be given game consoles to remind them of their teenage years!

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Dementiaville, my thoughts as someone living with dementia

My thoughts on last night Programme "Dementiaville

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dementiaville

Hiya guys, a few weeks ago whilst doing a presentation this question of "Truth" or Lies" came up, i would rather call it Truth or Distraction Techniques if i am honest" The people i had just been talking to had just had explained to them the difference between Alzheimer, lewy body's etc so this fit in quite well.

After explaining to them that if you have the Alzheimer type of disease your brain is on a type of loop and even though you asked the same question time and time again, as far as the persons concerned its the very first time they have asked this and will await an answer every time. Now, i asked all the audience, please cast your mind back to when you were told that a loved one had died, and try to remember how you felt, how incredibly sad you were, the shock and the realization that a loved one was never coming back.

As they pondered that question and there were many tears around the room as they did, i simply said to them

"Imagine Being Told That TIME AND TIME AGAIN !!! Why ON EARTH, or HOW COULD anybody be so cruel as to put ANYBODY though that Torment !! The room went very quiet and my point was made. Last night programme (In my humble opinion) was a great insight into what can be done, and what should be done. Anybody who comes through the doors of our memory cafe KNOW they are not in for quiet time, but a rousing day of memories and reminiscence. Now, to the prickly part of Staffing and Funding (As you know i dont do politics, but heres my views, they might not be popular with some, but are my views in my humble opinion)

YES ! we all know there is no money about! And YES we all know things are going to get worse before they get better !! Funding, staffing levels etc are not what they should be!!
BUT !!
Does that mean it has to be ALL doom and gloom ?? HELL NO !!!

Providing, and thats the big key word "PROVIDING" the managers of the homes ALLOW staff to hold such events as they did last night on Dementiaville" and PROVIDING the staff ALL WANT to be included and employ the same practices as they did last night, then why cant this happen ??

For goodness sake how much does a persons approach towards clients cost ?? NOTHING !!

How much does it cost to say "Your DAD or mum are at work and will be here soon ?? NOTHING !!

How much does it cost to play a few music tracks from the past and have a little dance with the person who has dementia ?? NOTHING !!

You can see what i am getting at i hope. Its up to the management and staff to get together and MAKE time for this to happen. Complaining about lack of funding will not create funding or staffing levels, it is what it is, but to show everyday, human compassion daily, towards others can not be calculated by money but by results on improving the lives of others.

All at POPPY HOUSE in Birmingham
I SALUTE YOU xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Norrms Diagnosed with dementia 7 yrs ago ages 50 yrs old (Lewy Bodys Type dementia )

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My thoughts on last night Programme "Dementiaville

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dementiaville

Hiya guys, a few weeks ago whilst doing a presentation this question of "Truth" or Lies" came up, i would rather call it Truth or Distraction Techniques if i am honest" The people i had just been talking to had just had explained to them the difference between Alzheimer, lewy body's etc so this fit in quite well.

After explaining to them that if you have the Alzheimer type of disease your brain is on a type of loop and even though you asked the same question time and time again, as far as the persons concerned its the very first time they have asked this and will await an answer every time. Now, i asked all the audience, please cast your mind back to when you were told that a loved one had died, and try to remember how you felt, how incredibly sad you were, the shock and the realization that a loved one was never coming back.

As they pondered that question and there were many tears around the room as they did, i simply said to them

"Imagine Being Told That TIME AND TIME AGAIN !!! Why ON EARTH, or HOW COULD anybody be so cruel as to put ANYBODY though that Torment !! The room went very quiet and my point was made. Last night programme (In my humble opinion) was a great insight into what can be done, and what should be done. Anybody who comes through the doors of our memory cafe KNOW they are not in for quiet time, but a rousing day of memories and reminiscence. Now, to the prickly part of Staffing and Funding (As you know i dont do politics, but heres my views, they might not be popular with some, but are my views in my humble opinion)

YES ! we all know there is no money about! And YES we all know things are going to get worse before they get better !! Funding, staffing levels etc are not what they should be!!
BUT !!
Does that mean it has to be ALL doom and gloom ?? HELL NO !!!

Providing, and thats the big key word "PROVIDING" the managers of the homes ALLOW staff to hold such events as they did last night on Dementiaville" and PROVIDING the staff ALL WANT to be included and employ the same practices as they did last night, then why cant this happen ??

For goodness sake how much does a persons approach towards clients cost ?? NOTHING !!

How much does it cost to say "Your DAD or mum are at work and will be here soon ?? NOTHING !!

How much does it cost to play a few music tracks from the past and have a little dance with the person who has dementia ?? NOTHING !!

You can see what i am getting at i hope. Its up to the management and staff to get together and MAKE time for this to happen. Complaining about lack of funding will not create funding or staffing levels, it is what it is, but to show everyday, human compassion daily, towards others can not be calculated by money but by results on improving the lives of others.

All at POPPY HOUSE in Birmingham
I SALUTE YOU xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Norrms Diagnosed with dementia 7 yrs ago ages 50 yrs old (Lewy Bodys Type dementia )

Norrms although I agree with you comments , like you I was diagnosed 16 years ago aged 57 I joined T.P in March 2005 and you in Feb 2009 we did email each other a few time and there was also Barry who I’m in regular contact with every weeks and have been for several years , the point I’m try to make is Norrms to me you are No different today that you were when I first knew you , I expect you will say the same about me , although we both accepted our Diagnoses that fine why is it everything we do to try just live normally why do everyone try to run out lives or think they know what a person with dementia wants obviously they don’t its a minefield , to keep my Rights I have fought and gone into battle with bureaucrats in various organisations { and win most of them }
my problem is words I good with practical

Tony from the past but still Alive & Kicking

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
me and OH were discussing how we would be wanting to see platforms and glam rock- none of us will have war time memories, and wondering if our kids will be given game consoles to remind them of their teenage years!

:D

I think my husband would want Blondie, and they can play me David Cassidy starting with this rather appropriate song....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PlFC4xhUw

I thought the Dementiaville care home was lovely, but the people featured seemed mainly in early dementia. The care home guy was great with 'John' but how many care homes can afford for one worker to take one guy on an outing every week? Or was it in his own spare time?

I wonder if it's the same care home in the next programmes?

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
:D

I think my husband would want Blondie, and they can play me David Cassidy starting with this rather appropriate song....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PlFC4xhUw

I thought the Dementiaville care home was lovely, but the people featured seemed mainly in early dementia. The care home guy was great with 'John' but how many care homes can afford for one worker to take one guy on an outing every week? Or was it in his own spare time?

Sorry Owly they looked to be at a pretty advanced stage to me , I wouldn’t have thought anyone in an early stage living a normal life would be in a care home , I still class myself in the early stage and that after my diagnoses 16 years ago . I meet every month with eight others all with dementias the group is run by Alzheimer’s Society staff and six of those still drive themselves to the venue I’m next to the youngest of the group age 72 maybe the word dementia needs to redefined Just want to point out there is severl side to dementia and how people as inviduals live and cope with it sorry but thats my View I did watch the dementiaville last night and yes it was great but as i said only shows one side of view

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I believe the next one focuses on Families who care at home and a workshop run by Dr Sheard where he "delves into their pasts to reveal how reliving shared memories can restore bonds that they thought they had lost."

:)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I wonder how these programmes generally get round the issue of consent? In the education series produced by the same company, it was clear that students and their parents had to give their consent to their being filmed and even in 'crowd scenes' there were some faces blurred out.

If consent was required (and it's hard to see how it could not be) in these programmes presumably they can only film people who are deemed to have capacity. Perhaps this is the main reason why such programmes are accused of only showing people in relatively 'early' stages?

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
I cried the whole way through the program which I watched on catch up today.
It made me feel even more guilty about the horrible place I put my dad in for the last two years of his life.
Like many places they all sat in a square room with chairs round the edge, with the tv on. Everything looked a bit gruby and tired and dads chair had a great view of the toilet door. The staff ( some where good) spent much of their time moaning to each other about how much they hated the job and how rubbish the pay was.

The home on the program looked so full of love, happiness and above all CARE.
The staff looked like they actually cared about the residents.
My dad was in hospital for a month before he died, I didnt get one call from his care home and i haven't since the day I phoned to say he died. No card, not even the final bill, which probably means they owe us money. Like all too many of the care homes in this country they are private businesses trying to make as much money as possible, that is their one and only goal.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for the info Pete, :) and Tony, you made some good points. I was thinking about how there was a group of residents on the programme sitting around being perfectly articulate with each other even though their memories were gone.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
I cried the whole way through the program which I watched on catch up today.
It made me feel even more guilty about the horrible place I put my dad in for the last two years of his life.
Like many places they all sat in a square room with chairs round the edge, with the tv on. Everything looked a bit gruby and tired and dads chair had a great view of the toilet door. The staff ( some where good) spent much of their time moaning to each other about how much they hated the job and how rubbish the pay was.

The home on the program looked so full of love, happiness and above all CARE.
The staff looked like they actually cared about the residents.
My dad was in hospital for a month before he died, I didnt get one call from his care home and i haven't since the day I phoned to say he died. No card, not even the final bill, which probably means they owe us money. Like all too many of the care homes in this country they are private businesses trying to make as much money as possible, that is their one and only goal.

I agree with you betsie, I generally loathe care homes after my mum's experience with one but the emphasis in this home was on care and understanding. I think this approach is fairly new. Sadly, while many care homes place more emphasis on making a profit I don't think there will be many homes like this one. Knowledge and understanding of the illness is so important if good, sensitive care is to be provided. This home gets top marks from me and I never thought I would say that about a home!!:)

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
I cried through most of the programme because it brought back many memories for me. I loved the way they took people back to a happy time in their lives. I could usually do this with my mum when I talked about when my brother and I were babies this would always bring a smile to my mum's face. The fact that the staff did not wear uniforms I thought was much better and staff wearing pyjamas at night was a brilliant idea.

I think this is a much more sensible and kinder approach to caring with dementia residents. The staff had good knowledge of this illness, this home seemed a million miles away from other care homes, in a good and positive way
My mum was not as amenable as some of the residents in the programme but if I could manage to find out where she had "gone" in her head she was a little bit easier to manage..

I think there are two more programmes to watch.

agree totally, very good with the residents, hope for similar care in phils new home when we get it. x

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I wonder how these programmes generally get round the issue of consent?
I have worked for both ITV & BBC (not C4) in covert filming rather than this overt type and the issue of consent is covered quite intensively and sensitively. Consent would have been obtained from the residents and if they were deemed incapable then by someone with PoA.

As this series is about the work of Dr Sheard and Dementia Care Matters I doubt there was any real difficulties getting consent or the residents probably wouldn't be there in the first place if they didn't already go along with his approach.

http://www.dementiacarematters.com/dementiaville_programme1

A link to the BBC guidelines.......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidance-vulnerable-contributors-full