Dementia Journey Update

Francisco

Jul 26, 2020
I wrote in March 2022 “As yet my wife’s dementia is undiagnosed but the future looks bleak: vehement denial, anxiety-inducing delusions, no close friends, total reliance on me (often completely unacknowledged), a poor opinion of medics and fearful of medication. The only positive I can see is that the inevitable anguish and extreme stress she will experience as time progresses will be mitigated by the disease – she will forget rather than dwell on traumatic events.”
Situation at July 2022
Over the last 2 weeks, my wife first developed a heavy cold which seems to have developed into a chest infection – fits of coughing with phlegm.
Simultaneously her dementia symptoms have worsened with more confusion and disorientation. She has had occasional high temperature, persistent tiredness, frequent anxiety related palpitations (heart rate <=120 p/m) at any time of day or night and significant loss of appetite (3 kilos weight loss in 4 weeks). She is now a little stooped, less steady on her feet and walking slowly.
Visit to the GP on July 4th resulted in additional antibiotics, dietary supplements (Ensure+) and referral for chest X-ray.
October 2022
A lot has happened in the last 3 months. Chest infection cleared up, appetite returned and weight almost back to normal. Dr from Memory Clinic assessed her memory skills (non-existent) and organised ECG and Brain Scan – I told her it was a routine X-Ray. GP prescribed Sertraline and Lorazepam. My wife is slightly more calm as a result of the medication and I’m becoming better at dealing with her mood swings, but she steadfastly remains in denial. However, her general awareness of events has diminished further, making her more compliant with medication and less persistent about driving.
Social Services have helped with carer’s assessment for me and provided vouchers for care visits. I’m relieved that we’re now “in the system” with support on offer – challenge for me is to navigate the system in the best interests of my wife and myself. I’ve been told multiple times to make sure I look after myself, create time for myself, and be “more selfish”. This is easier said than done.
Main stressful issues for me now are how to fill her day and how to deal with the daily sundowning which generally begins in late afternoon. Local walks used to be a favourite activity but she now walks more slowly and doesn’t enjoy walks as much now. And places we’ve happily visited for decades are less attractive for her e.g NT properties. So trips to the city in the car are her preferred option– shopping and lunches at nice restaurants.
The sundowning is invariably about going home to see her “parents”, an idea she becomes very anxious about. I’ve never been able to establish who these parents are – she often acknowledges that they are not her real parents but has no idea of where exactly they live, their telephone number and even their names. Rather than challenge her (“How can we possibly find them if we don’t know their name, address and phone number?), I turn the focus on them (They’ve never contacted us, no phone calls and no Christmas cards...). This often works well, with agreement that we won’t bother to contact them. But with no STM there is a similar routine a few minutes later or the next day.
January 2023
In late October 22, systematically increasing dosages of memantine were prescribed and this has certainly had a stabilising effect. For some time now she has been readily accepting medication, memantine and sertraline daily and lorazapam when anxious and aspirin for headaches (which may be a side effect of memantine, although there were pre-memantine headaches). The confusion is more evident more often but sometimes more insight and acceptance of my observations rather than ‘stubbornly’ delusional. Generally she is very grateful for what I do for her – profuse thanks and affection expressed but can become difficult to deal with when sundowning – angry, anxious and occasionally shouting and abusive which may be sometimes worsened if I show exasperation...
Read yesterday that 42 percent of people can’t remember when they last laughed out loud. Cheered me up given that we laugh out loud many times each day – making her laugh is incredibly beneficial to both of us.
She is more accepting of visiting carers and typically pleased to see them as long as I dont tell her in advance – if I told her of a carer visiting she would react against it, becoming anxious and insisting she is happy on her own. The partner of a golfer friend is amazingly supportive, visiting once or twice per week and spending 3 hours with my wife while I play golf. The private carers take her out for walks and coffee, very helpful because she is unhappy staying in the house – which is why community-care vouchers for a sit-in service are not being used.
Such is my wife’s dependence, I cannot leave her alone – if I’m out of sight for 5 minutes she becomes distressed. In early Feb 23 she was not well enough to accompany me to a funeral, so I left a white-board message about where I was and when I’d be back. When I got home 2 hours later, she had been walking the neighbourhood for the entire time {the note would have been instantly forgotten when out of her sight} and was at this stage attempting to unlock her car with house keys. A reminder that it is not safe to leave her alone...
And it’s not safe for me to be inattentive for a moment when we’re out. Late January, she went to a department store toilet whilst I waited outside – a moment’s lapse of attention and she was gone. Two hours later police located her at a carpark at the other end of town – always used by her when she was driving. Note: She had left her handbag containing a GPS tracker at home....
It’s vital for me to acknowledge my wife’s dementia at all times and to remember that my memory, long and short, is intact and quite reliable. When she says we’re not married, it’s not her fault. When she wants desperately to go home and see her (departed) parents, brothers, aunties and uncles, it shows how devastating her memory loss is, how the last 50 years or so are a complete blank for her. A big problem is that I can’t just fill in the blanks for her, as she is beyond being convinced by facts and logic. Even if she accepts the unpalatable fact that her parents couldn’t possibly be still alive in 2023, she will have no memory of that ‘insight’ a short time later (seconds).
Wanting to go home to the family is a very powerful feeling she has. Dementia means that she’s often very confused, upset, tearful, angry, and scared of what’s happening to her, and the reaction to this nightmare of confusion is a yearning for home as it used to be, the home she used to return to regularly and enjoy the comfort and warmth of the family. Telling her however gently that this family home no longer exists is very upsetting for her. Once when I was questioned by her about her mother, and I eventually told her that she died more than 40 years ago, she angrily exclaimed, “Why didn’t anyone tell me!!” I then had to explain that she was the only family member with her mother when she died.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You've both had a tough time @Francisco. The sundowning is wearing I know and it`s a hard lesson to learn of the dependence and the limitations it brings to our lives.

It`s good you are supported by friends and carers. Take as much support as you can get.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Wanting to go home to the family is a very powerful feeling she has. Dementia means that she’s often very confused, upset, tearful, angry, and scared of what’s happening to her, and the reaction to this nightmare of confusion is a yearning for home as it used to be, the home she used to return to regularly and enjoy the comfort and warmth of the family. Telling her however gently that this family home no longer exists is very upsetting for her. Once when I was questioned by her about her mother, and I eventually told her that she died more than 40 years ago, she angrily exclaimed, “Why didn’t anyone tell me!!” I then had to explain that she was the only family member with her mother when she died.
Aaah @Francisco this is all so familiar. If anyone wanted to know what it's really like to live with dementia they should read your post.

It's amazing, isn't it, how these exact same things come up so often, particularly the desire to 'go home'. My mother was never really upset to hear family had died years ago but like your wife she would insist, 'But nobody told me!' even when she had been there at the time. It really is heartbreaking and I feel for you.

Francisco

Jul 26, 2020
I'd posted to not only have a succinct record of what’s been happening but also to provide insights for others on the same journey - and also hopefully to receive insights from others. So thank you for your 😟

Thomasina

Jun 10, 2020
I wrote in March 2022 “As yet my wife’s dementia is undiagnosed but the future looks bleak: vehement denial, anxiety-inducing delusions, no close friends, total reliance on me (often completely unacknowledged), a poor opinion of medics and fearful of medication. The only positive I can see is that the inevitable anguish and extreme stress she will experience as time progresses will be mitigated by the disease – she will forget rather than dwell on traumatic events.”
Situation at July 2022
Over the last 2 weeks, my wife first developed a heavy cold which seems to have developed into a chest infection – fits of coughing with phlegm.
Simultaneously her dementia symptoms have worsened with more confusion and disorientation. She has had occasional high temperature, persistent tiredness, frequent anxiety related palpitations (heart rate <=120 p/m) at any time of day or night and significant loss of appetite (3 kilos weight loss in 4 weeks). She is now a little stooped, less steady on her feet and walking slowly.
Visit to the GP on July 4th resulted in additional antibiotics, dietary supplements (Ensure+) and referral for chest X-ray.
October 2022
A lot has happened in the last 3 months. Chest infection cleared up, appetite returned and weight almost back to normal. Dr from Memory Clinic assessed her memory skills (non-existent) and organised ECG and Brain Scan – I told her it was a routine X-Ray. GP prescribed Sertraline and Lorazepam. My wife is slightly more calm as a result of the medication and I’m becoming better at dealing with her mood swings, but she steadfastly remains in denial. However, her general awareness of events has diminished further, making her more compliant with medication and less persistent about driving.
Social Services have helped with carer’s assessment for me and provided vouchers for care visits. I’m relieved that we’re now “in the system” with support on offer – challenge for me is to navigate the system in the best interests of my wife and myself. I’ve been told multiple times to make sure I look after myself, create time for myself, and be “more selfish”. This is easier said than done.
Main stressful issues for me now are how to fill her day and how to deal with the daily sundowning which generally begins in late afternoon. Local walks used to be a favourite activity but she now walks more slowly and doesn’t enjoy walks as much now. And places we’ve happily visited for decades are less attractive for her e.g NT properties. So trips to the city in the car are her preferred option– shopping and lunches at nice restaurants.
The sundowning is invariably about going home to see her “parents”, an idea she becomes very anxious about. I’ve never been able to establish who these parents are – she often acknowledges that they are not her real parents but has no idea of where exactly they live, their telephone number and even their names. Rather than challenge her (“How can we possibly find them if we don’t know their name, address and phone number?), I turn the focus on them (They’ve never contacted us, no phone calls and no Christmas cards...). This often works well, with agreement that we won’t bother to contact them. But with no STM there is a similar routine a few minutes later or the next day.
January 2023
In late October 22, systematically increasing dosages of memantine were prescribed and this has certainly had a stabilising effect. For some time now she has been readily accepting medication, memantine and sertraline daily and lorazapam when anxious and aspirin for headaches (which may be a side effect of memantine, although there were pre-memantine headaches). The confusion is more evident more often but sometimes more insight and acceptance of my observations rather than ‘stubbornly’ delusional. Generally she is very grateful for what I do for her – profuse thanks and affection expressed but can become difficult to deal with when sundowning – angry, anxious and occasionally shouting and abusive which may be sometimes worsened if I show exasperation...
Read yesterday that 42 percent of people can’t remember when they last laughed out loud. Cheered me up given that we laugh out loud many times each day – making her laugh is incredibly beneficial to both of us.
She is more accepting of visiting carers and typically pleased to see them as long as I dont tell her in advance – if I told her of a carer visiting she would react against it, becoming anxious and insisting she is happy on her own. The partner of a golfer friend is amazingly supportive, visiting once or twice per week and spending 3 hours with my wife while I play golf. The private carers take her out for walks and coffee, very helpful because she is unhappy staying in the house – which is why community-care vouchers for a sit-in service are not being used.
Such is my wife’s dependence, I cannot leave her alone – if I’m out of sight for 5 minutes she becomes distressed. In early Feb 23 she was not well enough to accompany me to a funeral, so I left a white-board message about where I was and when I’d be back. When I got home 2 hours later, she had been walking the neighbourhood for the entire time {the note would have been instantly forgotten when out of her sight} and was at this stage attempting to unlock her car with house keys. A reminder that it is not safe to leave her alone...
And it’s not safe for me to be inattentive for a moment when we’re out. Late January, she went to a department store toilet whilst I waited outside – a moment’s lapse of attention and she was gone. Two hours later police located her at a carpark at the other end of town – always used by her when she was driving. Note: She had left her handbag containing a GPS tracker at home....
It’s vital for me to acknowledge my wife’s dementia at all times and to remember that my memory, long and short, is intact and quite reliable. When she says we’re not married, it’s not her fault. When she wants desperately to go home and see her (departed) parents, brothers, aunties and uncles, it shows how devastating her memory loss is, how the last 50 years or so are a complete blank for her. A big problem is that I can’t just fill in the blanks for her, as she is beyond being convinced by facts and logic. Even if she accepts the unpalatable fact that her parents couldn’t possibly be still alive in 2023, she will have no memory of that ‘insight’ a short time later (seconds).
so well written and so true to those on this forum. Hang on there

jzw01

Jun 12, 2021
@Francisco My experiance is so similar as are so many others on tis site. My wife is starting memantine next week I hope. I note that you wrote "In late October 22, systematically increasing dosages of memantine were prescribed and this has certainly had a stabilising effect"
How long did it take to start working? Was it quick or gradual?

Yvonne77

Nov 6, 2022
I feel for you! Your story is sad and yet so common. My father has gone through a similar experience with my mother. Finally, after having visiting carers, followed by a live in carer we reached a point where Mum was moved to a nursing home. She cannot accept she is ill and needs support but accuses us of putting her in prison and lying to her. She gets so angry with my father for not taking her home that he can no longer face visiting her as he finds it too distressing. She then frets that he has abandoned her. To make matters worse they refused to move closer when Mum was first ill so the long distances and costs of visiting mean it is difficult for family to get there. Dementia is so stressful for all involved. Our only consolation is that we have a wonderful care home and staff looking after her.
You may not wish to think about it yet but it may be in your own interests to consider a care home for your wife before you make yourself ill too. You can visit regularly and take her out but at least you would have some time when you are able to wind down and look after your own health. Best wishes.

Francisco

Jul 26, 2020
@Francisco My experiance is so similar as are so many others on tis site. My wife is starting memantine next week I hope. I note that you wrote "In late October 22, systematically increasing dosages of memantine were prescribed and this has certainly had a stabilising effect"
How long did it take to start working? Was it quick or gradual?
Hello, the beneficial affect was noticeable after 2-3 weeks - generally more stable, less anger, a little more appreciation of the help I provide. The reaction will of course vary from one individual to another and some will experience side effects like headaches. But so far the pros outweigh the cons...

Blackcountryjags

Nov 2, 2022
I am in the same position as you with my husband. We have no family I have a couple of good friends but my husband will not stay with anyone but me. It has been very hard the last couple of weeks as I haven’t been very well. My husband wants to keep going out all of the time but as I haven’t been well coughing and very tired he keeps going off . I try keeping the doors locked but he got out of a window that I didn’t realise was open. The one day he walked to what used to be his business and it is a 2 hour walk away. I have to get a tracker but I don’t know what type as he is very inquisitive i would have to hide it well As he would take it apart. He used to be a very clever man and could make and repair anything so this makes him very awkward. The other thing is he has always liked a drink and no matter how much he has had he thinks he hasn‘t had any. If I don‘t have any lager in for him he keeps roaming around opening every cupboard and door over and over again. He asks me the same things over and over again and he doesn’t know how to speak properly anymore he just talks gibberish and then gets frustrated when I can’t understand him. I can normally cope but not feeling well has been really hard as I just want to rest but we have to keep going out as he doesn’t understand.

Francisco

Jul 26, 2020
I am in the same position as you with my husband. We have no family I have a couple of good friends but my husband will not stay with anyone but me. It has been very hard the last couple of weeks as I haven’t been very well. My husband wants to keep going out all of the time but as I haven’t been well coughing and very tired he keeps going off . I try keeping the doors locked but he got out of a window that I didn’t realise was open. The one day he walked to what used to be his business and it is a 2 hour walk away. I have to get a tracker but I don’t know what type as he is very inquisitive i would have to hide it well As he would take it apart. He used to be a very clever man and could make and repair anything so this makes him very awkward. The other thing is he has always liked a drink and no matter how much he has had he thinks he hasn‘t had any. If I don‘t have any lager in for him he keeps roaming around opening every cupboard and door over and over again. He asks me the same things over and over again and he doesn’t know how to speak properly anymore he just talks gibberish and then gets frustrated when I can’t understand him. I can normally cope but not feeling well has been really hard as I just want to rest but we have to keep going out as he doesn’t understand.
You end up having to do absolutely everything and that expectation doesn't change when you're ill. There are common elements to all our stories and also differences - for all concerned, its ceaselessly hard work

stefka

Nov 6, 2022
In almost an identical position with my wife. I am almost halfway through the journey that you have gone through. Just begining to get some help and am trying to arrange to do a three hour carers awareness session. One of the big issues I have is sometimes I find myself loosing a bit of patience with my wife and then feel guilty as hell. I know it's not her fault and love her to bits. In the past my wife was really independant, going out in her car (got rid of now), meeting up with friends (rarely see them now). All I can say is just hang on in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reaching_out_for_ help