Dementia and marriage

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband has Parkinsons as well as Dementia. One of the side effects of his parkinson's drugs is hypersexuality. He assaulted me on an almost daily basis. It took 2 years to get a Consultant to agree that it was medication related. I still love my husband but for me the trust had gone from our relationship.
Fast forward a few years and he has dementia as well. He wanted to be sexual all the time but this was the person who was peeing and pooing on the floor.
I don't know how you keep the balance,its lovely that he feels close to you but there are no unicorns for us carers.
My husband is in a Nursing home now. He is well looked after and I visit most days he still loves me and I still love him but its not an adult relationship as he is childlike.
Take the good days as a win,thats what I do (after loads of counselling) and do your best but every day say to yourself "its not my fault,its not his fault,its a disease"

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you so much for sharing this @maisiecat. It is incredibly heartbreaking.

I’m glad that your husband is well cared for and you are safe - the love is clearly still there even though it has changed.

I’m sure sharing as you have here will help others in similar situations. Wishing you strength.