Deferred payments by sibling

Graspan

Apr 25, 2024
Hi all, bit of help needed. If I pay for my dads residential care before the sale of his property can I claim it all back. Or is there anything that prevents me from doing this?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does dad have capacity?
If not does anybody have LPA or deputyship?

The solicitor will put the sale proceeds into dad's account, it was his house, it's his money.
If you pay care fees it would be wise to inform the solicitor to see if the amount paid can be pit into your account to prevent any future deprivation of assets problem caused by a transfer from dad's account to yours.

Graspan

Apr 25, 2024
Does dad have capacity?
If not does anybody have LPA or deputyship?

The solicitor will put the sale proceeds into dad's account, it was his house, it's his money.
If you pay care fees it would be wise to inform the solicitor to see if the amount paid can be pit into your account to prevent any future deprivation of assets problem caused by a transfer from dad's account to yours.

Graspan

Apr 25, 2024
Hi, thanks for reply, I have enduring power of attorney so have access to his account. I need to pay fees for couple of months before house sale goes through, i would then just transfer what i'd spent on care home costs.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Your deputy account will show the transfer of funds to you, could be OK, ask OPG if it's allowed.