Death and benefits. Lived with parent, as a carer.

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Daffy123, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Daffy123

Daffy123 Registered User

Feb 1, 2018
    My dear mother has passed away only days ago. I lived with her, as her carer. I know that I can get carers allowance for 8 weeks but is there also a reduction in Council Tax now that I become responsible for it?
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    sad news @Daffy123 my condolences
    it's so hard losing your mum ... and having to deal with the everyday stuff

living on your own in a property means you are eligible for the single occupant's discount of 25% ... have a look on your LA's website and it will have a section about this

3. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi @Daffy123. So sorry to hear your sad news. You have my condolences.
    This is a major turning point in your life and I think you should make an appointment with a benefit advisor, perhaps via Citizens Advice or a carers' charity, to review your financial situation and make sure you're getting all you're entitled to.

4. Daffy123

Daffy123 Registered User

Feb 1, 2018
    Thank you for you kind words and advice.

5. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Daffy,

I was in your situation four months ago and my heart goes out to you. You have been given good advice above but you will need to let the utility companies know of course and hopefully get a reduction in some of your bills. I was able to get something off the water bill and I know this is only a small thing but every little bit helps.

Love and hugs

MaNaAk

6. Daffy123

Daffy123 Registered User

Feb 1, 2018
    Thank you MaNaAk. I remember a few of your posts. I'm sorry for you loss too. This week all the utilities were changed into my name. The direct debits per month are bigger than my 8 week run on carers allowance. Clearly, getting a job will be a priority at some point. I've been over twenty years since I've worked, so I hope someone will employ me. I'm giving myself a few weeks before I start looking for work.

7. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Good luck on the job front,you will have needed grit and determination in your role as a carer,I hope somebody sees that as a reflection on your character when they look at your applications,That's what I'm hoping myself when the time comes
    That work gap however long was due to a noble cause

8. MaNaAk

MaNaAk Registered User

Jun 19, 2016
    Essex
    Dear Daffy,

My work is starting to pick up now so I can assure you that you will get there. However you must give yourself space and time.

Be kind to yourself

Love

MaNaAk

9. Daffy123

Daffy123 Registered User

Feb 1, 2018
    Thank you.