Death and benefits. Lived with parent, as a carer.

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
My dear mother has passed away only days ago. I lived with her, as her carer. I know that I can get carers allowance for 8 weeks but is there also a reduction in Council Tax now that I become responsible for it?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news @Daffy123 my condolences
it's so hard losing your mum ... and having to deal with the everyday stuff

living on your own in a property means you are eligible for the single occupant's discount of 25% ... have a look on your LA's website and it will have a section about this

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thank you for you kind words and advice.

Dear Daffy,

I was in your situation four months ago and my heart goes out to you. You have been given good advice above but you will need to let the utility companies know of course and hopefully get a reduction in some of your bills. I was able to get something off the water bill and I know this is only a small thing but every little bit helps.

Love and hugs

MaNaAk

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
Dear Daffy,

I was in your situation four months ago and my heart goes out to you. You have been given good advice above but you will need to let the utility companies know of course and hopefully get a reduction in some of your bills. I was able to get something off the water bill and I know this is only a small thing but every little bit helps.

Love and hugs

MaNaAk
Thank you MaNaAk. I remember a few of your posts. I'm sorry for you loss too. This week all the utilities were changed into my name. The direct debits per month are bigger than my 8 week run on carers allowance. Clearly, getting a job will be a priority at some point. I've been over twenty years since I've worked, so I hope someone will employ me. I'm giving myself a few weeks before I start looking for work.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thank you MaNaAk. I remember a few of your posts. I'm sorry for you loss too. This week all the utilities were changed into my name. The direct debits per month are bigger than my 8 week run on carers allowance. Clearly, getting a job will be a priority at some point. I've been over twenty years since I've worked, so I hope someone will employ me. I'm giving myself a few weeks before I start looking for work.

Good luck on the job front,you will have needed grit and determination in your role as a carer,I hope somebody sees that as a reflection on your character when they look at your applications,That's what I'm hoping myself when the time comes
That work gap however long was due to a noble cause

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Dear Daffy,

My work is starting to pick up now so I can assure you that you will get there. However you must give yourself space and time.

Be kind to yourself

Love

MaNaAk

Daffy123

Feb 1, 2018
Good luck on the job front,you will have needed grit and determination in your role as a carer,I hope somebody sees that as a reflection on your character when they look at your applications,That's what I'm hoping myself when the time comes
That work gap however long was due to a noble cause
Thank you.