1. Bigs is

Bigs is Registered User

Feb 12, 2013
    Suffolk
    Dear All
    My darling Mum passed on Wednesday.
    She was 89 and died peacefully with her family around her. She was spared the end stages of dementia which I had dreaded happening.

I know I have a lot to be thankful for but I will miss her desperately and can't stop crying today.
    She deteriorated quickly after fracturing her hip and spending 10 days in hospital when she seemed to decide enough was enough and would no longer eat or drink or make any effort to recover from the surgery.
    Forcing her to eat just made her sick and us very uneasy and it was impossible to get her to take meds.
    The Hospice team came in to manage the End of Life care once the vomiting was persistent after only sips of water and a significant gastric bleed..
    The end came five days later.
    I know others here are dealing with similar loss and I am thinking of you all in grief.

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I'm so sorry for your loss xx

3. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Sending my condolences to you Bigs.

Love

Lyn T

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences.

5. brambles

brambles Registered User

Sep 22, 2014
    Female
    NW England
    So very sorry

Brambles x

6. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    My condolences to you and your family

7. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    So sorry that your mum is gone. We had my mams funeral yesterday so am with you.
    Love Rose x

8. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi Bigs. I'm sorry to read about your mum, and wish you strength and peace in the days to come. Jan x

9. Tears Falling

Tears Falling Registered User

Jul 8, 2013
    Sorry to read your news. Wishing you peace in the days to come.

10. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Sending my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

11. Sweet

Sweet Registered User

Jun 16, 2014
    Sorry to hear of your sad loss
    Sweet

12. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    Condolences to you and your family on your loss.

13. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    Saddened to learn of the passing of your Mum. Thankful she did not suffer too much at the end. Take care of yourself now. WIFE

14. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    I'm so sorry to hear this, and of course you will miss her. I think you were right to allow her the choice at the end, and I'm glad it was peaceful. Wishing you strength xx

15. Bigs is

Bigs is Registered User

Feb 12, 2013
    Suffolk
    #15 Bigs is, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Thank you all for you understanding. I find the thing I am struggling with just now is how mum deteriorated while in hospital.
    I wonder how hard they tried to get her up and moving again post surgery. I just hope that the DNA put in place prior to the hip repair had no influence on her treatment.

Sorry if I am rambling a bit butI know dementia and hospital are a bad mix in spite of all the new hospital initiatives and training.

Bigs

16. scipper

scipper Registered User

Mar 4, 2015
    co.meath
    So sorry to hear of the death of your mam. Both my parents died within a month of each other last year. its so sad when they go.not the same to go back home anymore.
    My younger 57 year old sister has now been diagnosed with vascular dementia. I can't believe it as she is too young for this to happen. She isn't communicating very well with us sisters at all. We are at a loss to know how bad it will get and hope her husband and grown up sons and daughter can cope. This is my first time to send a reply and I'm not too sure how this works. Regards,Scipper

17. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.