Darling Mum gone

Bigs is

Feb 12, 2013
Suffolk
Dear All
My darling Mum passed on Wednesday.
She was 89 and died peacefully with her family around her. She was spared the end stages of dementia which I had dreaded happening.

I know I have a lot to be thankful for but I will miss her desperately and can't stop crying today.
She deteriorated quickly after fracturing her hip and spending 10 days in hospital when she seemed to decide enough was enough and would no longer eat or drink or make any effort to recover from the surgery.
Forcing her to eat just made her sick and us very uneasy and it was impossible to get her to take meds.
The Hospice team came in to manage the End of Life care once the vomiting was persistent after only sips of water and a significant gastric bleed..
The end came five days later.
I know others here are dealing with similar loss and I am thinking of you all in grief.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Bigs. I'm sorry to read about your mum, and wish you strength and peace in the days to come. Jan x

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Saddened to learn of the passing of your Mum. Thankful she did not suffer too much at the end. Take care of yourself now. WIFE

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm so sorry to hear this, and of course you will miss her. I think you were right to allow her the choice at the end, and I'm glad it was peaceful. Wishing you strength xx

Bigs is

Feb 12, 2013
Suffolk
Thank you all for you understanding. I find the thing I am struggling with just now is how mum deteriorated while in hospital.
I wonder how hard they tried to get her up and moving again post surgery. I just hope that the DNA put in place prior to the hip repair had no influence on her treatment.

Sorry if I am rambling a bit butI know dementia and hospital are a bad mix in spite of all the new hospital initiatives and training.

Bigs

Last edited:

scipper

Mar 4, 2015
co.meath
So sorry to hear of the death of your mam. Both my parents died within a month of each other last year. its so sad when they go.not the same to go back home anymore.
My younger 57 year old sister has now been diagnosed with vascular dementia. I can't believe it as she is too young for this to happen. She isn't communicating very well with us sisters at all. We are at a loss to know how bad it will get and hope her husband and grown up sons and daughter can cope. This is my first time to send a reply and I'm not too sure how this works. Regards,Scipper