Dad struggling with life with dementia

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
Hi i hope everyone is ok and coping the the snow and cold weather.

Dad has had less good days recently, he is being given sleeping tablets for now to cope with nightime anxieties and wanting to get out. We have been given further hand rails upstairs as dad has difficulty walking.

Good news work has agreed to let me work 5 mornings instead of 4 full days. Monday i slipped on the ice at work and broke my wrist. Today i got to see mum and dad, sisters and grandkids came. Mum face was smiling, dad smiled and closed his eyes most of the time. Dad loves it when my sister brings her dog and the dog is amzing with dad.

Dad had a toilet accident in his sleep and then today didnt make it to the toilet in time. All could be cleaned andsorted. But dad broke down sobbing how awful it is at what he had done. I hate what dementia is doing to my lovely dad always a gentleman.

I have so much repect for all of you on here.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Oh, poor you. That is horrible that you have broken your wrist. And your poor dad. There is no dignity in any illness...but dementia takes so much away, leaves the person so vulnerable.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
In a very strange way mum's dementia shielded her from the humiliation of any toilet accidents. When the incontinence first started she believed they were my accidents and that I should take more care of myself. Even now and we are further down the road she still does not see them as her accidents.

Sorry to hear about your wrist, but good news about new working hours.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Glad you were able to sort the work hours, but so sorry to hear about your fall. I can't think how you are coping as a carer with a broken wrist?!?

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
Oh, poor you. That is horrible that you have broken your wrist. And your poor dad. There is no dignity in any illness...but dementia takes so much away, leaves the person so vulnerable.
So true, dad hates what dementia i doing to him. Dememtia is so cruel.