Dad keeps going missing from care home

aj89

Aug 14, 2021
They keep leaving a gate open when getting deliveries and seem very uncaring. There's never any acknowledgement that it's their fault and even with him being missing right now, they just don't sound like they care. They don't notice he's gone and when they do, they don't even call me to tell me he's gone missing. I've tried to talk to the care home, social services, CQC, DOLS assessor. No-one ever gets back to me and him going missing is only one of many serious concerns. The sole reason he is there is because he wanders and wasn't safe at home. He was going missing each day but why are the care home being paid hundreds and the same situation is happening?

Has anyone had any similar issues and how did you resolve it?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @aj89 and welcome to Talking Point

Youve given them more than one chance, but this home cannot meet your dads needs. He needs a different care home - one that is a proper secure home that is enforced that he cant escape, not one with a gate left open. Its time to look for another one.

If you are self-funding you can just find another one (that will meet his needs), but if you are LA funded you will need to work with Social Services.

aj89

Aug 14, 2021
Hi @aj89 and welcome to Talking Point

Youve given them more than one chance, but this home cannot meet your dads needs. He needs a different care home - one that is a proper secure home that is enforced that he cant escape, not one with a gate left open. Its time to look for another one.

If you are self-funding you can just find another one (that will meet his needs), but if you are LA funded you will need to work with Social Services.
Hi

This is my problem. I have not been able to hear back from anyone in social services in 6 months. There have been concerns since the beginning. They just keeps changing his social worker and no-one informs us. We don't even know if he has a social worker at this point. It's hard to get through and when you do, someone says they will get back to us but they never have in 6 months. This is why it's been reported to so many other professionals and agencies but still no review has been arranged.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's hard to get through and when you do, someone says they will get back to us but they never have in 6 months
Find email of Director of Social Services and send email outlining your problem.

If you can't find the email address PM me the name of the council and I'll have a look.

aj89

Aug 14, 2021
Find email of Director of Social Services and send email outlining your problem.

If you can't find the email address PM me the name of the council and I'll have a look.
Ok. Thank you. I will do this.

aj89

Aug 14, 2021
Hi @aj89, that is appauling. Care homes have a duty of care to keep residents safe and this home obviously can't do that. As well as @nitram's suggestion I'd phone the Support Line tomorrow and ask for their advice. They can be contacted on 0333 150 3456 or email dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk.
I hope he is found very quickly.
Thank you very much. He's been missing about 6 hours so far. I hope they find him soon too.

Thank you all for your help.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I do hope he's found safe very soon- you must be so worried.

You can also report to social services as an urgent safeguarding concern (as I imagine you did when he wandered before going to this negligent place...) They and the care home have a duty of care.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I agree with the email to director of social services, might be worth sending it to your local MP as well. They can often help with this kind of thing.

Your poor Dad! And you, too. This is outrageous. Are the care home calling the police to find him each time? The police should be raising this as an urgent safeguarding issue with social services too. Unbelievable.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@aj89 I hope your father has been found by now. If he ended up being taken to hospital try and refuse any suggestions that he returns to that care home. I'm surprised the CQC weren't interested last time. It sounds to me the sort of thing that should trigger an urgent inspection.