Dad is being moved again

Happyhibee

Nov 25, 2018
my 75 year old dad had a stroke in February this year. He developed delusions in hospital and became aggressive and angry at everyone, they gave him injections and was screaming with pain, he is a long suffering rheumatoid arthritis patient and hit out as his meds had been stopped. He was sent to psychiatric ward in another hospital for assessment where they said it could develop into dementia but they hoped he would recover. He was then moved to another hospital for convalescence when they informed us he had dementia and could not go home... he was then moved to a nursing home in August.... social services and home fell out over finances , he is local authority funded... so two weeks ago was moved again....
The new home is now saying he is showing behaviour they have never seen before. He is not sleeping sometime just napping over a 72 hour period and he is going into other peoples beds, and now crawling on the floor. I am at my wits end as they say he has unacceptable behaviour and will have to move again. Any comments, suggest?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Some of the behaviour sounds very typical of dementia so I wonder if your dad is in the correct type of facility.

I don't have experience of this but I'm sure other members will be able to give you the benefit of their experience. If not, it may be worth trying the experts on the help line, details as follows
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
How much experience of dementia does this home have?
What you are describing is very common with dementia. My own mum (in a dedicated dementia unit) was always wandering around at night and most of the residents were constantly going in and out of each others rooms. I find it rather concerning that this home says that they have never seen this before!

Is the home happy to continue caring for him? If so, I wouldnt worry about it

PS, forgot to say - welcome to Talking Point :)