Counselling

MichellePer

Oct 14, 2023
Hi,

After a horrific year which started with my dad who was the carer for my mum having a severe stroke, my mum declining rapidly then ending up being sectioned then pushed over and her hip was broken and she died shortly after. My dad has never really recovered much and now needs daily care and is physically and mentally disabled I am feeling like I’ve been through the mill and I think some profesional help might help me work through the trauma and guilt.

Can I request counselling from somewhere? I was consider contacting my GP who knows my situation well, is this the best and first port of call?

I can afford private therapy right now even though I’d like to.

TIA

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi Michelle

So sorry to read your story. It does sound like having some space to process everything would be beneficial for you.

I think NHS counselling is quite hard to come by if you’re managing to function. Others please correct me if I’m wrong. Are you looking for face to face or online? Perhaps look at websites like the British Association for Counsellors? I would suggest you try to find someone with experience of dementia.

Are you in work at the moment? If so your work may have an employee assistance programme that can offer some help.

It May take a while to find someone you click with, but you’ll get there…

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Do try your GP as provisions seem to vary by area. i did after being advised on here when I was at my wits end. He gave me a short course of ant-depressants plus a phone number to call for counselling. After ringing and registering with them I had a choice of phone or on-line sessions (covid was still around so no face to face). They were very helpful.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes do go to your GP. Nationally there are NHS counselling services but they do tend to have quite long waiting lists. I had to wait about 9 months which isn’t great but when I did finally speak with a therapist/ councillor, it was really helpful.
If you have a local carers centre, they may have a counselling service or you can look up local services ( the following link is quite a useful starting point. )

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I have had counselling since January which is private. Its run through a local private counselling firm and it has affordable sessions. I pay £25 an hour it is a lot out of the small income I am left with but it has been extremely helpful.
I am finishing in July but held on to get me through my husband's birthday. It has helped me recognise the areas that will remain difficult.
I don't know about NHS counselling in your area but I am in Surrey and was referred last June by my husband's Mental health nurse so I assume waits are enormous.