Council tax reduction

steveinsweden

Apr 21, 2024
Hi there, My name is Steve, my dad has dementia and I am helping my mum with some admin. We are applying for a council tax reduction but have been declined. I found that the form i filled in was very much based on income and savings and did not ask about dementia. I read that the reduction in council tax for people with dementia is not means tested. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this and any information about how to proceed. I really appreciate your help and I am so pleased to have found this forum. Thanks in advance. Steve

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi, I have council tax reduction because my husband is in a dementia home so I live alone. When I applied the council worker emailed me and said I could apply for when my husband was living at home with a severe mental illness and the money would be refunded.
I didn't as at that point my life was catastrophic but they told me the GP can confirm diagnosis. Hope that helps sure the other guys will come up with details

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome first of all.
UK England someone with a Severe Mental Impairment is not eligible for council tax purposes, they are a mandatory disregard by law, however, a diagnosis of some form of dementia is of itself not proof of an SMI.
For the purposes of a mandatory disregard it about mental capacity not bank balance, assuming they don't live alone that is.
Mum should be classed as a single adult resident and get the reduction to the single persons rate, I did. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We are applying for a council tax reduction but have been declined.
Incorrect form, you want SMI disregard, he will be disregarded for council tax purposes and occupancy reduced by one, usually meaning sole occupancy and 25% discount.
No means test.

shar22

Apr 17, 2024
Hia , I got full council tax deduction for my mum with our local council , rang council tax office explained she lived on her own and has Alzheimer's, they sent out a form which the man said wasn't worded particularly well about mental capacity. Her GP had to sign one part of it. It didn't have anything about means testing. Maybe it's down to the local council whats available .

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
The SMI disregard is dependent on two things, confirmation of conditions by the individuals GP (when I applied the local authority just asked for permission to contact gp) and receipt of an appropriate benefit (PIP/attendance allowance etc).

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If contacting LA make sure they understand you are talking about SMI council tax disregard and not

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Hi Steve, you can either request a form from your local council for severe mental impairment, your GP has to tick the boxes and sign it , or you can download the form, and the letter you got from DWP about the attendance allowance, , send them to the local council and they will let you know how much council tax you will pay, we did this a few months ago, now OH doesn't pay anything, I get council tax reduced by 25%...

steveinsweden

Apr 21, 2024
Hi Steve, you can either request a form from your local council for severe mental impairment, your GP has to tick the boxes and sign it , or you can download the form, and the letter you got from DWP about the attendance allowance, , send them to the local council and they will let you know how much council tax you will pay, we did this a few months ago, now OH doesn't pay anything, I get council tax reduced by 25%...

steveinsweden

Apr 21, 2024
Thanks so much for the information. This forum is so helpful. If you had a link to that form I would appreciate but I’ll look for it now. Thanks again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazlin