Council Tax Discount

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
"Im surprised to see that some of you got the reduction back dated, when I asked the local council about this they said ' no we dont do that '"

It should have been backdated to the '...has been from' date entered by the doctor on the certificate provided that the proof of eligibility of a qualifying benefit covered that date.
Ive downloaded the form too and will take that back to his consultant or GP.
Thank you

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi selinacroft, I would have thought that your GP would have your mums diagnosis already in her notes so would have no need for any other letters . When I completed the form I handed it in to the surgery and collected the flowing day with a comment from GP saying my mum has had dementia since 2003 and I got it backdated till then , which worked out well. There was no charge as you would expect as it is NHS and should not be charging . I am sure you have nothing to worry about . Best wishes . Lou

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Weyhey! I am pleased to say I had a phone call from the surgery this morning to say there was a letter for me to collect. I've just been up there and Dr has signed the SMI discount form and backdated it to the date of the consultant's letter and no charge was made.
Whatever next week's phone appointment is about, it wasn't about the CTAX letter. Perhaps she just wants to discuss the diagnosis of dementia or maybe a pain management review. Feeling very relieved that I don't need to argue Dad's case with Dr

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Weyhey! I am pleased to say I had a phone call from the surgery this morning to say there was a letter for me to collect. I've just been up there and Dr has signed the SMI discount form and backdated it to the date of the consultant's letter and no charge was made.
Whatever next week's phone appointment is about, it wasn't about the CTAX letter. Perhaps she just wants to discuss the diagnosis of dementia or maybe a pain management review. Feeling very relieved that I don't need to argue Dad's case with Dr

Well done Selinacroft!! :):):)

Don't forget to send it back to the council pronto!

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
My husband was diagnosed on 1/9/2014 and the doctor confirmed the date of diagnosis on the council tax form but didn't get ESA until 24/7/2015. The council tax reduction was backdated to 24/7/2015 when he received ESA. I have just rung the council and they say that it can't be backdated to the date of diagnosis even though the doctor confirmed it on the form. Is that right?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"The council tax reduction was backdated to 24/7/2015 when he received ESA. I have just rung the council and they say that it can't be backdated to the date of diagnosis even though the doctor confirmed it on the form. Is that right?"

The council are correct, SMI can only be applied during the time a person can prove eligibility for one of the qualifying benefits.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Yes
When I worked in CTAX we were never allowed to award it until all criteria were met so from whichever date was the latest, GP letter or qualifying benefit.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
My husband was diagnosed on 1/9/2014 and the doctor confirmed the date of diagnosis on the council tax form but didn't get ESA until 24/7/2015. The council tax reduction was backdated to 24/7/2015 when he received ESA. I have just rung the council and they say that it can't be backdated to the date of diagnosis even though the doctor confirmed it on the form. Is that right?

I had the same situation because oh was diagnosed August 2012 but I didn't apply for AA until October 2014 as I didn't know he would be eligible. The council gave me reduction in council tax from September 2015 ? So now my oh doctor has written to say when he was diagnosed ( which they know ) and the delay in applying for AA and that in his opinion oh would have been eligible for AA from that date . I have also sent all the dr information to the AA dept to see if they will support that had I applied in time oh would have got AA in 2012.

Waiting on that one but not too hopeful. But should get reduction from October 2014 at the very least.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi Yes
When I worked in CTAX we were never allowed to award it until all criteria were met so from whichever date was the latest, GP letter or qualifying benefit.

Well in this case the ineptitude of our council has for once worked in our favour then - they took the doctor's letter for gospel.

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi

is anybody with dementia applicable for council tax reduction? A few weeks ago myself and mam attended CAB and they stated that due to her finical situation she is not eligible forthis

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi

is anybody with dementia applicable for council tax reduction? A few weeks ago myself and mam attended CAB and they stated that due to her finical situation she is not eligible forthis

It is my understanding that it is due to the condition 'severe mental impairment' and nothing to do with someone's financial means.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The person with dementia needs to be in receipt of Attendance Allowance or equivalent. Then the GP needs to sign a form confirming the diagnosis. This will make that person exempt from council tax which means it will be recalculated due to how many people are now counted as living there.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi

Well they're talking rubbish (in the nicest way possible). The qualification is a "severe mental impairment" it does not relate to anyone's financial position in any way.

Local Government Finance Act 1992.
(4) Subsection (3) above shall not apply as respects any day on which one or more of the persons there mentioned fall to be disregarded for the purposes of discount by virtue of [F2paragraph 2 (severely mentally impaired).

Anyone with a SMI does not count for council tax purposes even if they're a millionaire.
K

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/section/6

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for all your replies, this is useful to know. She currently is not entitled to any form of ' benefit' due to having ' too much' money which is ridiculous but never mind! We are currently in the middle of applying for PIP? Where/How can I apply for council tax redemption?

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Thanks for all your replies, this is useful to know. She currently is not entitled to any form of ' benefit' due to having ' too much' money which is ridiculous but never mind! We are currently in the middle of applying for PIP? Where/How can I apply for council tax redemption?

I think PIP is like Attendance Allowance ie the criteria are about a person's level of disability/need not their financial means. Surprised as CAB advisers are usually pretty reliable but it does sound like they've got this wrong. Try AS advisers or Age UK if you need help with forms; they can help you make sure you include everything important as they understand how decisions are made.

Contact your council or check their website. I had to fill in a form and they sent another form to GP which he returned directly to them. It can be backdated to date of diagnosis; my mum's was backdated to date she was referred by GP to memory clinic which was 5 months before she got a confirmed diagnosis from psychiatrist.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006

If she doesn't currently receive PIP (or if she were older, AA) then she isn't currently entitled to the SMI disregard. So you need to sort that out first.

bobmc

Jan 29, 2014
Ilkley
I've only just found this thread, thanks for all the information.
I care for my Wife and can't work, could anyone tell me what the procedure for claiming is please. I've looked on my local Council website and it doesn't mention SMI or anything like it.
I've downloaded a copy of the form that was posted here earlier and plan to mention it to the Doctor next time we go but do I need to get a special form from my Council (Bradford) ?

Thanks for any help.
Regards
Bob