Continuing health care advice please

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I went through the CHC assessment process by telephone, which was far from satisfactory as they wouldn't use videoconferencing on some absurd grounds of security. However the needs of my mother were not "medical" enough and I didn't really expect to get CHC. I will try again in the future if there are sufficient grounds. The system isn't really logical. If I woke up tomorrow and could not use my legs I would call a doctor not a carer. But inability to dance around the room is not considered a medical problem.

Whether you need an advocate or not really depends on how well you as a relative are able to do it. I am articulate educated and more than capable of giving officialdom a hard time but not everyone is. For a start you need to understand the criteria and have evidence available, and the documents are not an easy read. You don't succeed by shouting loudly but by having a good case under the rules. Unfortunately dementia patients are seen as people who need social care not nursing care so dementia alone won't usually get you CHC.