My Mom has Dementia and is obsessive about mattresses

BLabrador

Dec 5, 2023
My Mom had a stroke in 2016 and has since been diagnosed with Dementia. In the past 7 years. She has gone through 14 mattresses and none have been comfortable. She lacks muscle strength and always states “Someone else has slept in the bed and there is a hole I can’t get out of”. Her weight ranges from 140 to 170

We have tried:
New mattreaaes
Used mattresaes
Memory foam
Traditional
Toppers
Box sorings
Platforms
Electric platforms
Firm yoga Matt underneath fitted sheet

She has lived in 5 places and been to numerous hospitals and rehabs. And has asked them to continuously switch out her mattress and she isn’t satisfied.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would guess that the stroke has led to her being unable to move much when she is in bed, but she is blaming the mattress

Im not sure there is much you can do.
Sorry xx

Carlybarley

Mar 29, 2024
My Mom had a stroke in 2016 and has since been diagnosed with Dementia. In the past 7 years. She has gone through 14 mattresses and none have been comfortable. She lacks muscle strength and always states “Someone else has slept in the bed and there is a hole I can’t get out of”. Her weight ranges from 140 to 170

We have tried:
New mattreaaes
Used mattresaes
Memory foam
Traditional
Toppers
Box sorings
Platforms
Electric platforms
Firm yoga Matt underneath fitted sheet

She has lived in 5 places and been to numerous hospitals and rehabs. And has asked them to continuously switch out her mattress and she isn’t satisfied.
OMG....I'm glad its not just MY mother doing this. NONE of the mattresses we have tried for her are comfortable according to her and I think she's suffering early dementia symptoms too.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
We got through a couple of new beds. One was too big, the other too small and of course she chose neither so it was my fault for buying the wrong one

And her settee was not the one she ordered, the carpet not the colour she wanted ...

It's not easy

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
Dad's stopped obsessing about the mattress and has now started with the bedding: duvets are to thick, blankets are too thin, sheets are too slippery, pillows are lumpy... He gets out of bed and makes a nest on the floor (using the same bedding) where he sleeps. Then it takes 3 people to get him off the floor.

pvl

Oct 11, 2022
We went through the same thing with my mother in law and it continues now. Quite honestly there is nothing you can do that would satisfy her. We wound up telling her every day that we were waiting on a new mattress and eventually the complaints about it dwindled then stopped but have started again today. I suggest you treat it the same way that you treat other things with the dementia and use distraction or love lies to calm her.