complications and dementia too.

Harrison

Mar 20, 2016
Hi , my mum of 77 has just been diagnosed with dementia , originally a ct scan 2 months ago showed tiny brain damage to the rear , it is vascular , recent ct scan still shows same tiny damage . Her balance has been poor for a year or so with many falls , a recent fall fractured her ankle so she is in hospital , she is getting over shingles as I type . Her behaviour changed dramatically over the period of the last 2 weeks sitting in a trance , she is aggressive in hospital hitting a cleaner , she sees things and is paranoid , she talks complete gibberish a lot of the time . Medication for diabetes type 2 and duloxetine for depression/anxiety for last 3 months, Prozac for years before that . Original diagnosis was brain atrophy. She lives with me , I hope she can come home to me and her dog but fear she may be put into care home . She cannot do much for herself anymore , I have been doing things for her . Sometimes she is able to converse but often nearly always actually totally confused . I wonder how much of this is to do with dementia and how much is complicated by shingles and pain from broken ankle . I wonder about the drug duloxetine which prior to this lifted her depression . Right now the future looks bleak and I am very very worried about her .

Harrison

Mar 20, 2016
Hi Harrison,

I am so sorry about your Mum. It must be incredibly difficult when dementia is complicated by other medical conditions and vice versa. My Mum has Vascular Dementia and was diagnosed 8 years ago, however I know that she had symptoms for at least 2 years prior to that. If my Mum gets any infection, i.e. chest or UTI, it sends her completely loopy for a few weeks and I know there are many others on here that will know all about that also. I do not have the knowledge or experience to post re. how your Mum's diabetes could be affecting the VD or the drugs that she is on. I hope that another TP'er will have direct experience of this with their own loved one and perhaps be able to help you. You must be very worried and frightened by the sudden change in your Mum. You have come to the right place for help and support Harrison.

Thankyou , this site is really helpful , I get some really dark periods here alone . Just got back from hospital , mum has delirium plus mild dementia , they say it could be 3 months to get over the delirium. Tonight myself and 2 siblings may as well not have been there , in fact I think we made it worse for mum , sis was punched tonight and we were tagged as the worst things that walk the earth . She keeps trying to get out and did again tonight . Im sure that people with mild dementia are ok people ,,,,just have issues re memory and apathy etc but this delirium is something else ! I told my younger siblings this is delirium speaking not mum . Im sure I could cope with the dementia as I feel its been there for a little while anyway undiagnosed but the delirium is frankly a no no .

sueroydon

May 1, 2016
Hi Harrison

Really sorry to hear about your Mum. I am in same boat as Mum has early dementia.

She did have a UTI which was treated with anti biotics so presume this has gone. I wonder how you got the diagnosis of delirium? My mum has very suddenly become extremely confused and I did mention delirium to the doctor. We are awaiting results of CT scan for proper diagnosis. I keep thinking maybe she'll be better today but my hopes are shattered as soon as I speak with her in the morning.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I feel my mum has been taken over. She used to adore me but now looks at me as if I'm a stranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point