clarity on legal obligations

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
As I said my Mom is a NH (and also a tax payer). The system knows that as she gets the £100 payment and not the full amount. She didn't apply for it so cannot be accused of abusing it and therefore that accusation of yours is unfounded.

Izzy has given you some links to read. I suggest you do just that.

:)
My Dad got this too,he is also in NH,must admit I can't quite see the logic but that's nothing new.He was also paid £2000.00 bereavment payment when my mother died,no application was made,only contact was to report her death to DWP.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My Dad got this too,he is also in NH,must admit I can't quite see the logic but that's nothing new.He was also paid £2000.00 bereavment payment when my mother died,no application was made,only contact was to report her death to DWP.

This link explains the eligibility criteria for bereavement payments; I presume the DWP have an automatic mechanism for checking when they are notified of a death. (Good for them, too often benefits go unclaimed because people don't realise what they are entitled to.)

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility

I suppose there is some logic in continuing winter fuel payments as part of the care home fees cover what would otherwise be a person's housing and utility bills costs.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
This link explains the eligibility criteria for bereavement payments; I presume the DWP have an automatic mechanism for checking when they are notified of a death. (Good for them, too often benefits go unclaimed because people don't realise what they are entitled to.)

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility

I suppose there is some logic in continuing winter fuel payments as part of the care home fees cover what would otherwise be a person's housing and utility bills costs.

Thanks for that,point 2 applies.Not so worried about them asking for it back now!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey