CHC funding means tested?

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
I have been told by my mums social worker that she will never get funding as she has assets, I am reading the guidelines and I can't find anywhere it says it is so what is going on? The home manager has told me the same Anyone have any insight?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
CHC has nothing to do with assets at all. It all to do with the needs of a person.
If a person satisfies the criteria for CHC funding then they can have a zillion pounds and they will receive the funding. Be bankcrupt with fewer needs and the LA will have to contribute. Perhaps the SW and manager were getting confused between CHC and LA funding.

Have a look at the following. CHC funding relates to health needs.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?&documentID=399

Last edited:

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Nope this was at a CHC meeting - even the assesor lead me to believe it was means tested so no confusion in this case.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
The words were she has a house she will never get it - so the assumption was financial

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Please report the Social Worker and the Assessor.

CHC is the NHS paying for medical needs as they would for a pauper or a millionaire if the millionaire decided to accept NHS care as against private care.

Jay

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
Hi,
I agree with jaymour,
This SW has not right to say anything as regards funding by the NHS.
It is none of their business and you should tell them so.
They are simply not qualified to make any decisions as regards health care.
CHC funding as already mentioned is NOT dependent on the ability of the individual to pay and can only be decided by a MDT appointed by your local CCG it has also nothing to do with the care home manager.
They may have opinions but tell them to keep them to themselves.
Report them for giving you misleading information.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm thinking of going for the CHC assessment which was pending after waiting 8 months of waiting after the checklist was passed to go forward for the full DST assessment. It was then cancelled the day before it was due to take place - I only knew because I rang the CHC team about something unrelated - and then nothing was heard again before my husband died in June.

I didn't think I could face it as it would mean going into the home and discussing all my husband's health problems with the nurses who cared for him there so I discounted it.
I still don't think I can so soon after his death, it is too much but now am considering passing all I have to a solicitor to deal with. Otherwise, it seems such a waste of all the effort I've put in and the worry I've experienced. I also don't think they should just get away with delaying things so that the resident dies before they have to pay out.
Still thinking about it.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
Saffie my mum died in May before her full DST assessment. The meeting was held after her death. We were present but we didn't need to be. The meeting only took 5 mins as they read through her notes beforehand but the upshot was that we got some backdated funding. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

geum123

May 20, 2009
I'm thinking of going for the CHC assessment which was pending after waiting 8 months of waiting after the checklist was passed to go forward for the full DST assessment. It was then cancelled the day before it was due to take place - I only knew because I rang the CHC team about something unrelated - and then nothing was heard again before my husband died in June.

I didn't think I could face it as it would mean going into the home and discussing all my husband's health problems with the nurses who cared for him there so I discounted it.
I still don't think I can so soon after his death, it is too much but now am considering passing all I have to a solicitor to deal with. Otherwise, it seems such a waste of all the effort I've put in and the worry I've experienced. I also don't think they should just get away with delaying things so that the resident dies before they have to pay out.
Still thinking about it.

I must admit Saffie, that I have heard of people getting so involved with CHC battle that it has made them ill. It is an awful strain.

For me, handing it to the solicitor took a lot of the stress away, though I still rant and get stressed out at the injustice of it all. It shouldn't be a battle after all.:mad:
I didn't have to attend any meetings.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.:)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you Geum and thank you Dusty Cat. I'm surprised they still held it afterwards. In that case, I might ring them up and ask what they intend doing about it.
I really don't want to have to go and discuss it with them though.

Last edited:

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Oh Saffie I'm so sorry, the whole process is horrendous it really does need exposing as such xxx

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
Yes they held it the week after Mum's death and backdated it approx 8 weeks which was when she really started to go downhill but we were happy with the decision. I expected a battle but it was fine. The CHC DST form states meetings can be held retrospectively and funding backdated. Persue it and don't give up. For me it was the principle of it but was also determined to fight for my Dad. Take care and best wishes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

retiredcopper

May 17, 2011
Yorkshire
I agree with everyone Brogues - I would make a complaint too as they are very wrong.

Saffie - I hope you manage to find the strength to fight for the right outcome. I know how you must be feeling as I am going through the same (mum died whilst we are fighting for MIL's rights) but I am so incensed at how the CHC staff are treating us like fools that I'm starting to get the bit between my teeth again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Angie

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you both Dustycat and Angie.
I honestly don't know if I can face hearing my husband's problems wrangled over. He suffered so much pain and I'm still pretty emotional about it all.
I know I will always feel angry that his physical problems weren't given the recognition by the CHC that they warranted so, even if just to stop me fretting for all time, it is probably the right way to go.
Whether I ring them and continue this as I have been doing, on my own or go to a solicitor is something I need to think about. Having done so much work myself, it seem silly to hand it over but it would probably be less stressful.

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Thank you both Dustycat and Angie.
I honestly don't know if I can face hearing my husband's problems wrangled over. He suffered so much pain and I'm still pretty emotional about it all.
I know I will always feel angry that his physical problems weren't given the recognition by the CHC that they warranted so, even if just to stop me fretting for all time, it is probably the right way to go.
Whether I ring them and continue this as I have been doing, on my own or go to a solicitor is something I need to think about. Having done so much work myself, it seem silly to hand it over but it would probably be less stressful.

This is why the process carried out byt he "caring" profession is an abomination it is so wrong so very wrong and I htink it's time it was exposed on mass, what they are doing is against the laws of disability and equal rights - you can tell I'm well intot he solicitor stage now can't you :(

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
I have only just found out my daughter recorded them saying it to me - well I have the social worker recorded telling me she will NEVER get it!!! Now where to take this evidence

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroline7