CHC funding means tested?

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I would ask for details of the complaints procedure and follow it. I think if you do things their way they are bound to respond within time limits etc. I would also see if someone from the local Alzheimers Society can help you, that is come to meetings with you, if there are any.
Do not be persuaded to let them deal with it informally. Register an official complaint.
Good luck, currently going through a bit of a shamozzle with social services and chc ourselves, looks like we are going to get original decision overturned but we can't count our chickens yet.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
CHC funding is not officially means tested.
Unfortunately I think they look at the address the person lives at and they can get a rough idea of the value of the house that way and if it is reasonably expensive they try to persuade the family to sell it to pay for the care.
The problem was even though my step mother lived at a reasonably expensive address I am the owner.
As I have said on this site before I have helped people in situations where a parent and offspring owned a house jointly worth about £700,000 and the parent has little cash as they have been retired for years.
In this type of case the offspring can not be forced to sell or pay a penny towards the care.

William

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Unfortunately I think they look at the address the person lives at and they can get a rough idea of the value of the house that way and if it is reasonably expensive they try to persuade the family to sell it to pay for the care.
That might happen with the LA but I can't see how it affects CHC funding. The LA is not involved in paying for CHC.
Anyway,it would have done them no good looking at my address as I was still living in the house, no matter where it might be situated.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
CHC funding is not officially means tested.
The problem was even though my step mother lived at a reasonably expensive address I am the owner.
As I have said on this site before I have helped people in situations where a parent and offspring owned a house jointly worth about £700,000 and the parent has little cash as they have been retired for years.
In this type of case the offspring can not be forced to sell or pay a penny towards the care.

William

In areas of compulsory (land) registration where a property is held under registered title (and this means in practice the whole of England and Wales) then the price for which last sold together with an indexed approximate present value will be available via the Land Registry and the District Valuer's office in the LA will have this available to them. It is unlawful for them to do as you have described, and the matter should be raised as a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). As Saffie says, the LA has nothing to do with CHC funding. Only the CCG has access to information about the patient and has no lawful basis for holding information about property - CHC cases are or should be taken "means blind" and, strictly, minus name details as well.

W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroline7