Charging for TV licence

DianeM

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisham
I am being charged £7.50 pm by my husband's nursing home for a TV licence. Has anyone else come across this ? Surely the home should have one to cover all the rooms like they do in hotels. . Already paying £1600 pw surely this should be covered.

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
I was looking at the fee info for a care home yesterday and the concessionary £7.50 licence fee was one of the extra costs mentioned for having a TV in a bedroom. I assumed this was the cost per year rather than monthly.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It's completely ridiculous - don't pay it. Yes, they should have a communal (ARC) license but in any case, this sort of thing should be included in the weekly fee - it's hardly an 'extra'. (Actually I think they've got a bl**dy cheek.)

If you work out how many residents there are and multiply by £7.50 per month you'll see what they are making. Ask them to justify it.

Just to add, my mum was in a CH for 3 years but was never charged tv license fee.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The communal licence only covers a TV in communal spaces. If the TV is in a room so that it is only watched by the person whose room it is (plus others that they invite) then it is not covered by the communal licence.

Whether an additional licence would be paid for out of the care home fees irrespective of whether a TV is used in the room or not (as I assume they do in hotels), or whether it is considered an "extra" will depend on the care home contract.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
My understanding of the concessionary licence for individuals rooms in residential care homes is that the fee is £7.50 per annum for each room covered by the licence.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
The government and or the BBC should put a stop to this being a requirement. It’s a big chunk of your personal allowance. Due to my mothers changing condos toon she has needed lots of new clothes etc which along with feet and hairdressing all adds up. Disgraceful. We don’t get charged…

Piper12

Nov 20, 2021
I’m just looking for a care home for 2 week respite for my OH the ones that have bothered to answer all state that there is a £7.50 charge per week for a TV in the room it comes under extra’s.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
If a care home is charging £7.50 per week or per month that would seem to be a charge that they have made up themselves to cover the provision of a TV and/or any additional subscription services. Homes are of course free to set their own charges for any "extras", it's all down to the individual homes contract terms.